/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Organizational frenzy

I've spent a fair amount of time helping folks to pack, move and unpack this summer. People moving off the block, and others moving in, have collectively sorted, and/or boxed up and labeled, and/or given away, and/or carted to the trash, an amazing amount of stuff. After each of these exercises, I've come home to my own abode, and looked around, and considered having to go through that here. A terrifying prospect, indeed. In a word... EW.

And so, I've become a woman on a mission: CLEAN IT OUT. A few weeks ago I started at one end of the house, and began the process of working my way to the other. One by one, we're going through every room in the house. No box, or drawer, or closet is escaping this time.

My current mantra, given me by one of my Bible Study women this summer: "If you don't love it, or use it, get rid of it." This has been enormously helpful. Oh, it's not a total failsafe; but it does help to eliminate some of my most insidious pitfalls:

"It might be useful someday." Then find someone who can use it, now.

"It's too nice to throw out." Then give it away. If not to someone we know, then Amvets, salvation Army, or the parish Rummage Sale are eager candidates.

At this point, we're a bit less than halfway there; and boy, does it feel good.

My other project: I'm following Susie's excellent example, and beginning to put my books and files in order for the GOE's. Sorting them as I box them up for school will not only make unpacking easier, but is a good reminder of what all is there-- sort of a quickie refresher.

(Unsolicited endorsement: Booxter is a highly nifty little program for cataloguing one's library. It's cheap ($15, if you like it after trying it; you can use it for the first 30 books for free); does a lot of the work, fetching all kinds of info given only the ISBN number; and allows handy entry of personal preferences and data, that even turn into pulldown menus, so you don't have to type the same thing over and over... yes, I'm a believer.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

Hey, I've got TWO offices that could probably use your help. And since you've got all this experience moving people around AND organizing offices (AKMA's comes immediately to mind) . . .

Love ya'
:)

September 13, 2004 11:35 AM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Yes, I have spent several hours helping AKMA tidy up his office. But organized it? With all the respect I can muster for our beloved prof, that's not work study job; that would be a career.

September 13, 2004 11:53 AM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

:) :) :) :) :)

September 14, 2004 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home