/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, September 03, 2004

School days

Yesterday, my son brought home the first fundraiser sheets of the school year.


Cookie dough.

Ten different flavors.

In 3-pound tubs.

Ooh, baby...


Oh, sure, it's pricier than the homemade variety, being a fundraiser and all; but it really is good stuff.

Here's a disorienting thing: at the same time I look over these order sheets, I've been listening to the radio reports about another school. Children in Russia who came for their first day last week, and will never leave. Babies, with gap-toothed smiles and skinned knees... used as disposable cannon fodder by armed militants. Caught in the crossfire. The lucky ones carried naked and bleeding from the scene...

All this, while deciding how much cookie dough we can afford to buy.

I generally hug my kids when they get home. Today, when I stop crying, I think I'll do it twice.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple thoughts:

One is a painful mix of being thankful that I'm homeschooled and feeling guilty for the same, a sort of "that should have been me, not them."

Two is, you KNOW you're bringing some of that cookie dough up here.

September 03, 2004 12:09 PM  

Blogger The Lovely Wife said...

kinda just makes you want to stop and bake cookies and have a glass of milk and share it all with your kids and never care if any of you set foot out of the house again. Wish we were there to help with the fund raising.

September 03, 2004 1:59 PM  

Blogger Benedict Seraphim said...

Jane:

I'm willing to bet that if ya'll happen to find your way into the presence of a Healy household member (especially the one with the checkbook), we would appropriate some o' that thar cookie dough. (Mmm. Mmm.)

September 03, 2004 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home