/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Words and sacraments

I'm back from that meeting, and it went well, I think; much more relaxed than last year. Yes, there were a few challenging questions-- a Commission on Ministry would not be serving their purpose if they did not inquire closely at points-- but no one was the least bit adversarial. The only startling events of the weekend were the truly amazing thunderstorms Friday night. Early Saturday morning, more accurately, they broke loose, right over our heads; there was no time lag between the thunder and the lightning. It literally shook the bed, and I felt as though my room was in the middle of a strobe light. All was peaceful by dawn, but it was not a restful night.

Aside from that, the time was calm, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to get to know both our diocesan leadership and the other postualnts and candidates who were there. Several of them are on different tracks of formation toward ordination-- attending other seminaries, or working through local formation, as priest or deacon-- so I wouldn't encounter them, were it not for get-togethers like this. Much visiting done, and (being Episcopalian) liturgies prayed together, and a great deal of coffee, food and snacks consumed.

I am not a coffee drinker-- a fact my bishop informs me will be entered in my dossier, and could be held against me at a later date. It is certainly true that the coffeepot is considered by many as a sacred piece of equipment, nearly as critical to sacramental Christian community as the chalice and paten. To those faithful souls, perhaps this would be an appropriate choice. If you try it, you'll have to let me know if it lives up to its billing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Glad it all went well! We had the same set of storms up here as well... pretty, but somewhat unnerving. Especially for the dog we're sitting for right now.

August 29, 2004 9:52 PM  

Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

I like the storms. They are fun.

I too am glad that your meeting went well. I look forward to hearing more.

August 30, 2004 7:45 AM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

Congratulations on a successful meeting. Nice to know that not all COM's are adversarial.

August 31, 2004 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home