/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, April 08, 2005

Reality Play

Classes are ongoing, and each challenging in their own ways. This week, the focus for me has been the course in liturgical practice. This is just what it sounds like-- each of us taking a turn stepping into the role of Eucharistic celebrant, trying it on for size before we venture into the world of ordained ministry and do it “for real,” with and for an expectant congregation. We started actual practice liturgies this week. In a moment of foolish inspiration, I signed up to be the presider in the first slot. Less time to get nervous, I figured. Don’t think about the temperature of the water; simply jump in and get wet. After all, that’s why they call it “play church,” right?

However, less time does not mean no time, and “play church” starts feeling more serious as I contemplate the reality of what we’re practicing. Invoking the Holy Spirit, and calling for the presence of Christ in the sacrament-- even in practice, in the context of learning-- is not something I take lightly. And so nerves set in as the time approached, until my prayers became simple: as one dear friend phrased it, “Dear Lord, please don’t let me screw up.”

And. . . ? Well, no one ran screaming from the nave. I did not drop the chalice, did not lose my place, and the words came out mostly in their proper order. It was. . . okay.

Yeah. It was really okay.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

wonderful.

My hands still shake.

April 09, 2005 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home