/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Commuter musings

I spend a lot of time driving back and forth to my field ed sites. It's about 55 miles each way, give or take-- takes me about an hour to get to church. The things you notice, when you're doing that 5 days a week. . .
  • Like the fact that truck stops seem to come in clusters. Sometimes, just one will stand alone; but more often, there will be two or three truck stops at the same exit.
  • Exits that have a cluster of truck stops also often play host to establishments billing themselves as "gentlemen's clubs."
  • Despite the name, billboards for these clubs never, ever feature gentlemen in their advertising. Funny how that works.
In addition, there seem to be an infinite number of bumper stickers out there. Many are similar ("My child is an honor student..." or "pray for our troops"), but I do see some unique efforts, now and again:

  • Silly Boys-- Trucks Are For Girls! (on the back of a Chevy half-ton pickup; and yes, the driver was female)
  • Smart Cowgirls Keep Their Calves Together
  • Dear God, Please Protect Me From Your Followers
Never a dull moment on the road.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

While the first bumper sticker elicited a groan and the second a mental "ha", the third caught me with a full throated belly laugh!

I want this bumper sticker...especially when I get into parish work!

-R

March 12, 2005 7:16 AM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

I've noticed a proliferation of the magnetic ribbons - you know, "support our troops", etc. I guess we now need to Support Our Ribbons.

March 14, 2005 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home