/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, April 08, 2005

Hello? Anybody home?

Yes, I’m still alive. It’s just that this week has been a bit of a roller coaster, so I’ve been preoccupied with my corporeal life, and visits to cyberspace have been brief. A short summary:

First of all, let me share with you that I’m typing this on a brand new computer. Last week, my iBook’s video feed went AWOL. The hard drive was entirely functional, but the screen was dark. Everyone was home, but none of the lights in the house came on. This is not the first time I’ve had this problem, so I was understandably displeased, and said as much (politely, of course) to the Apple Support Dude with whom I spoke.

Now, here’s the good news: the Support Dude was utterly understanding; he turned me over to his Supervisor Dude, who was likewise sympathetic. Some 45 minutes later, they had arranged to ship me a new computer, rather than repairing my old one. And not only new, but significantly upgraded. And promptly, to boot-- I shipped off my old G3 on Friday, and the new G4 (with double the RAM and a CD burner!) arrived on Tuesday afternoon. Gotta love Apple.

Next, I have returned (after a hiatus for my seminary field ed time) to working and worshiping with the Church of Jesus Christ, Reconciler. It’s good to be praying and planning with Tripp and Larry again, and with the good folks who make up the core of our small congregation. If you read through some of the updates on that blog, you’ll notice that we’ve had a few adventures, with the worship space we rent and with establishing the church as a lgeally recognized body. Never to be a dull moment in this church planting business.

I’ve also spent a bit of effort on personal relationships, in some unexpected ways. This isn’t easy work; sometimes it can be difficult indeed. Surprising, and sometimes scary. There are no guarantees available when it comes to the human heart, and the risk inherent in being vulnerable-- of loss, and of hurt (both given and received) is always real. But I learned a long time ago that the hard thing to do is often the better choice, and the possibilities for joy-- sweet, and strong, and lasting-- far outweigh the risks. And so it has proven to be.

In between, I’ve managed to contract “The Seabury Plague:” a pernicious upper-respiratory bug going around campus. Coughing, and congestion, and my soprano voice dropping with a leaden thump into the tenor range.

I can hardly wait to see what happens next.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

*hugs*

April 08, 2005 6:54 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like the Seabury Plague is similar to the CDSP Plague, which is currently making the rounds but has so far passed my by, TBTG.

I had the pleasure of meeting your classmate Dave H. at the Diocal Standing Committee Candidate/Ordinand Approval Marathon. He says he knows you and wanted to know how I knew you. I then had to explain that I didn't really "know" and...well, let's say that blogging has introduced a whole different meaning to "knowing." I hope someday to really get to meet you. Oh yeah, David Gortner says hi. I'm doing a directed reading with him in the fall.

Karen J.

April 08, 2005 7:32 PM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

"I can hardly wait to see what happens next." Sounds alot like what's going on around here what with iterant preacher dudes and Gideons showing up on my doorstep.

Life is good, isn't it.

April 11, 2005 3:32 PM  

Blogger Justin said...

I have had the same issue with my ibook. If it happens again I get a new computer. It seems to be a flaw with a certain generation of iBooks. Luckily, mine was made in the last month, so all of those repairs have been covered.

April 12, 2005 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home