/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Binding and loosing

After more than 3 years of metal-mouthed existance, our eldest got her braces off this week! When I talked to her that evening, she was working her way through an enormous bowl of popcorn, and reveling in the sensation of nothing getting stuck. She is understandably thrilled, though she notes that her mouth feels "good, but weird"-- unfamiliar. She will still need to wear a retainer for a while, to allow her teeth to settle in; but the omnipresent wires and brackets are gone for good.

Seems to me we have something in common. I'm just finishing 3 years of seminary training, formation for ministry-- a sort of bracket system if you will. A time of intentional learning and growth, allowing God to mold me into the kind of servant, the kind of leader, the kind of priest I am to be.

God willing, on Friday (tomorrow!) I will be ordained to the transitional diaconate. I will still need support, still be in training as I grow into this call; but like going from braces to a retainer, it will be different sort of formation. Not as structured. More freedom, but less security, and less familiarity. As my daughter notes, it feels good, but weird. Exciting, and a little scary. All right, more than a little. I'm not sure I'm ready; but I believe I'm as ready as I'm ever going to be.

So if any of you feel like praying tomorrow, feel free. I can use all the help I can get.

5 Comments:

Blogger Benedict Seraphim said...

Glad I checked in. I prayed for you all this morning, and when I do so tomorrow, I'll add this to my intentions.

The Lord's blessings on you and yours.

April 14, 2005 9:42 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

I have two nearing the end of their braces-wearing time, a sort of Purgatory they feel. The trouble is that #2 Son may be finished before #1 Son, and that will be painful for the elder.
Your use of braces as metaphor bodes well for your preaching! Blessings to you as you begin this new phase of "retainer-wearing."

April 14, 2005 11:00 AM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

I can't help but smile.

April 14, 2005 11:09 AM  

Blogger David said...

Oh my Lord....
I have been hiking the Appalachian Trail with my son's fifth grade class, and the date has slipped up on me. I am SO SORRY as I meant to send a personal note. I am praying for you and so excited for your ordination. It will be a day you will not forget.
Veni Sancte Spiritus..
I can't wait to hear all about it. God Bless....
David K

April 14, 2005 7:55 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

I have two who are getting their "railroad tracks" off next month. This is the second time for one of them.

As to prayers, you can count on it, sister.

April 14, 2005 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home