/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Monday, January 10, 2005

Fun and games with the GOE's

It occurs to me that there are those of you out there who might get a kick out of seeing some of the questions we were handed during last week's exam. So every once in a while, over the next few weeks, I plan to post them. Feel free to offer your thoughts as you feel inspired; unlike the Board of Examining Chaplains, I will place no time limit on how long you have to formulate an answer.

We're going to start small, I think. This first question is actually only part of what we were given for the "Theory and Practice of Ministry" section. This set included seven "practical" questions, out of which we had to select six, and provide for each a short (1/2 page) answer. (We'll get to some of the larger, more theological/academic sets another time, I promise).
The parish finance committee is preparing next year's budget and will present it at an informational congregational meeting. Previously, this meeting left tempers frayed and spirits exhausted. Explain why it is important to run a meeting based on Christian tenets and offer at least five practical ways to maximize cooperation and minimize bickering.

Well?

3 Comments:

Blogger Benedict Seraphim said...

The importance of running a parish finance committee meeting on Christian principles can hardly be overstated. Of course, the determination of what are those Christian principles is work best done by the parish theological committee, and since we do not yet have a parish theological committee, I move that we craft a recommendation to the full parish council and the subcommittee on advice and consent, that at an irregular council meeting yet to be scheduled we propose a plan to present to the congregation that during the next fiscal year an exploratory committe be assigned to look into the formation of this aforementioned committee.

Second? [Motion is seconded.] All in favor? [Motion carried by acclaim.]

Therefore, in lieu of an officially authorized set of core values around which to conduct the present finance committee meeting, as rector of the parish, I assert my ontological difference as ordained clergy and request your submission to the following five directives to minimize bickering and maximize cooperation:

1. My word is law.
2. If there is any dispute about anything in the meeting, my opinion is infallible and shall carry the day.
3. If there is any question or dispute about item 2, see item 1.
4. Under no circumstances shall senior clergy--myself--be under any obligation to give up the parking stall nearest the front door.
5. There is a correction to last month's expense report: in place of Bill's Bait Shop and Tavern, one should write "rector's discretionary fund."

In closing I note that the commemorative parish fishing poles were returned in pristine condition, though certain acquatic denizens of Bear Lake were not.

The Lord bless you.

January 10, 2005 8:06 PM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

Um . . . with all due respect, I did the GOE's last year and have no desire to repeat the experience. However, I will enjoy reading other people's responses.

January 12, 2005 11:05 AM  

Blogger David said...

LOL@Cliff's response. Here are my FIVE GOLDEN RULES
1) Shoot
2) Anyone
3) Arguing
4) With
5) Me

It works very well down here.
CONGRATS on the GOE's, I know you did well. And the Field Ed gig looks great, I agree with AKMA's observation. My supervisor, and now good friend, was definitely "piety opposite" from me, and I learned SO MUCH!
Peace

January 12, 2005 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home