/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Midpoint

Today is a day off-- a welcome break in the testing. It's roughly 6:30 in the morning here, and I just woke up-- which undoubtedly sounds unreasonably early to many of you, but really is sleeping in for me, on a school day. A lovely feeling.

The last two days have been both what I expected them to be, and a little suprising. I'm guessing that my work to date isn't likely to set the readers on fire with enthusiasm, but I think-- I hope-- I'm holding my own.

What I've noticed about the process, in no particular order...
  • I've never written so many words in such a short period in my life. Normally I'm a slow writer-- a picky wordsmith. Yet, I'm finding the problem is not filling the pages, but staying within the page limits. Cover both Old and New Testament eschatology in 3 single-spaced pages? I mean, really!
  • Speaking of which-- on the same day we had a scripture question on eschatology, and a history question regarding the origin and development of premillenial dispensationalism. I think someone on the Board of Examining Chaplains has been reading the Left Behind books.
  • Prayer, and chocolate-- vital survival tools. Candles are good, too. So is a solid playlist in my iTunes.
  • I have a laptop computer, and tend to write papers curled up on the bed or the futon. But for this test, I'm finding what works is to park myself at my desk.
  • I am surrounded by folks who are eager to be helpful, and also willing to leave me alone when my muscles feel like knotted wax and my brain has turned to oatmeal at the end of the day. In particular, my roommate and my chaplain have been worth their weight in gold. Thanks, ladies-- I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am.
  • My classmates are a terrific group of people with whom to be doing this. Yes, we're working hard, and it is a focused time; but the tension has not gotten out of hand. These folks still laugh with one another-- something that's long been a hallmark of our class, and has been a particular joy this week.
I don't have a particular plan for today, other than a good long nap, and hopefully having a few GOE-unrelated conversations. Oh, and a Twelfth Night (afternoon, actually) celebration and hymn sing that Susie's helping to put together, bless her.

See you on the flip side, friends.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Jane, it's Scott Knitter from Reconciler. Just wanted you to know you're in my prayers this week. And you actually have my envy too...I think the GOE sounds like great fun, but of course only with the requisite coursework. I hope to do that in some form, some way, very soon. Anyway, hope this week is a good experience, and I know you'll do well. Blessings!

January 05, 2005 9:21 AM  

Blogger Jason said...

Dear Jane:
You and your fellow Seabury students (and, heck -- all students taking the GOEs!) are in my prayers this week. It sounds like you're not getting TOO stressed, which is the key: just keep your head down, work through them, keep them in perspective and you're done.

This too shall pass! And you, too, shall pass! Blessings,
Jason

January 05, 2005 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home