/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Monday, December 27, 2004

Keepin' on, keepin' on

These have been a lovely few days, here. We had our immediate family Christmas morning present exchange, and all was highly satisfactory. Then we went over to my sister's house for dinner in the afternoon, after which I went up to sing Evensong and share some yummy munchies with the good folks at Reconciler (who included someone new to me; welcome, Bill!).

Yesterday, we accomplished nothing substantive, and that may have been the best part-- those days come so seldom. I finished the evening snuggled on the sofa in front of the fireplace, feet ensconced in new slippers, sipping tea out of an oversized mug and watching Return of the King with my family.

Today I ran errands, including a trip up north to fetch a book on vestments I had lent to Tripp and Trish (and which I need if I am to finish a chasuble for a friend's ordination at Epiphany!).
This highlight of the evening was a highly palatable meal, cooked and served by our talented elder child, who volunteered for the effort. It was very good; I will be encouraging more of that, believe me!

Tonight, my scripture reading comes from the lessons appointed for the Feast of St. John the Apostle, "the disciple whom Jesus loved." I do not always understand what John is trying to tell me, but I do understand and treasure his unwavering confidence in the love of Jesus for him, and for all of us. We need the reminder (at least, I do) when we are feeling unloving and/or unlovable, that God is eager for us to see ourselves as disciples whom Jesus loves-- that he is available, and faithful, and constant even when we are not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home