/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Dressing for success

We've all heard the phrase before, I imagine. The idea of wearing something that will cause people to see one in a certain way; like the corporate executive in suit and tie striving to impress management and climb the corporate ladder. Or the woman who indends to convey one message with the red "power suit," and quite another with the "little black dress."

I find, however, that I approach it from a different angle. Rather than trying to impact how others see me, I often seem to dress for situations based on how I will feel-- or more accurately, how I hope to feel.

Ratty old jeans aren't just worn for household repairs because I don't want to ruin good clothes, but also because they make me feel, in some way, competent in that arena. That's one way I tell myself I can do this, and I don't care if I get filthy in the process.

The Ref. talked about this in his GOE Survival Guide a while back (you'll have to scroll down), mentioning how he'd chosen to wear a dress shirt and tie each day of the testing as part of his own mental preparation. I didn't quite go that far, but I was intentional about clothing choices, top to bottom, and rather more careful with hair and makeup than I might have been. Even though I wasn't going anywhere, I got ready for the day as though I'd be going to work. Didn't care who saw me, but it made me feel more prepared. Okay, I'm ready. Bring it on.

I wear sneakers for moving around in a hurry; and my boots often come out when I mean business, or when I want to feel more confident. Do not start with me, honey; you will not win.

Yep-- sometimes I dress with making an impression in mind; but more often the message I'm intending to convey is aimed at the face in the mirror.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

There's a t-shirt in our house that reads,

"I'm up and I'm dressed. What more do you want?"

It's exactly the message intended.

January 30, 2005 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home