/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Radio Silence

We're over visiting our friends Cindy and Greg right now. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that we're visiting Cindy and Greg's wifi. They've gone over to the health club to work out, leaving Bruce and I to catch up on email; they'll be back in a bit, and we'll split some pizza.

Why is this, you ask? Simple-- when I got home yesterday evening, our cable modem was down for the count. Bruce tried to work his technological magic on it, to no avail. So we called the cable company, and discovered that the soonest they can have someone out to repair it will be Monday morning. Serious technological withdrawl, especially as I had to contact both a professor and my supervisors.

I could pick up the phone and call them, but that would also be problematic. I woke up yesterday with a scratchy throat, went through a whiskey-throated Lauren Bacall phase in the late afternoon, and by last evening was seriously hoarse. I did spend some necessary (well, necessary to me) time on the phone-- first with Mark, then the Ref.-- chatting about this, venting about that; but by the time I went to bed I was reduced to a throaty whisper. It's a mark of these men's tolerance that they put up with my scraggly tones with good grace.

This morning I woke up with no voice at all. None. Nit. Zilch. Even whispering takes effort, so I'm avoiding that where possible.

As a result, I've spent the day with my nose in my history texts, sipping herbal tea and sucking on throat lozenges, and praying that this passes as quickly as it came on. Whether the kids at St. A's get their sermon tomorrow is anyone's guess.

Here's hoping that all avenues of communication are up and running again soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Maybe you need to close the window. 8P

January 22, 2005 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home