/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Brrr!

December in Big Sky Country means snow and chilly temps. I get that. Not much different than life back in HoosierLand, really. I like the snow, and I don't really mind the chill... to a point.

However, today we crossed the line between chilly and just plain cold. The temperature when I left the house this morning was -17°F (-27°C), and made it up to a high of about -6°F (-21°C) as I made my appointed rounds. Wind chill factors lowered those numbers another 10-15 degrees. What did this mean for the "wandering minstrel" priest?

  • My utterly reliable car (aka "the VicarMobile") was not happy about starting. It did, each and every time; but it seemed to grumble whenever I turned the key in the ignition.
  • Attendance was very sparse; a few of our most faithful parishioners don't budge (for health and safety reasons) when the weather gets cold, and others decided to follow their example.
  • In the 90 minutes I was at St. Alban's, the water bottle I habitually carry in the car with me froze.
  • The the blower on St. Paul's furnace (which roars like an airplane engine preparing for takeoff) did not shut off at any point during the service. We could have turned it off manually, but I did not want the few hardy souls there to turn into parishioner-cicles. Preaching and presiding required what my father calls STEEL MILL LUNGS.
  • We celebrated the Eucharist in the parish hall at Our Saviour's because the church building would not warm up-- even the liquid wax in their new Advent candles froze solid.
The list of "Things They Never Covered in Seminary" added a new chapter today.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Call me a wimp, but you should have followed my un-travelling lead and stayed at home. Everyone I talked to today in the congregations was so thankful I didn't make them get out in it. Blessings to you my chilly friend.

December 14, 2008 10:19 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deacon John says that the coldest he has been out in winter weather was -40º F in Duluth, Minnesota. He was in the Air Force and they provided plenty of "foul weather" clothing.

December 15, 2008 3:10 PM  

Blogger Crimson Rambler said...

Oh darlin', I hear you. Fortunately I've just got one "point" and it's urban...think of me tomorrow though when I have to inter ashes in an old cemetery up on a NICE. HIGH. HILL. with nothing but wind between me and the Pole. Thank heaven for funeral cloaks.

December 15, 2008 4:24 PM  

Blogger Emily said...

My windshield wiper fluid froze up yesterday--a helpful response when driving in freezing rain!

The Baptists here drop like flies the minute the weather shows the slightest sign of being bad. Watching the church closings scroll on the screens is good old-fashioned Oklahoma entertainment.

December 17, 2008 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home