/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday 5: Floods and Droughts

1. Have you experienced living through an extreme weather event- what was it and how did you cope?

I grew up in the upper midwest, positioned nicely right where Lake Effect Snow Belt meets Tornado Alley; so "Extreme Weather Events" were not uncommon. Some coping skills include advance planning-- both short term (canned goods, bottled water, candles, flashlights and batteries) and long term (owning a generator; having a gas stove or grill for cooking when the power goes out; and living in a house with a basement, or knowing where one is you can use).

One such I remember vividly was a blizzard a few years back that knocked the power out in in the area for days to weeks, depending on where one lived. In addition to the above, "coping" included good neighbors-- having and being. We took turns digging out one another' s cars, and the generators (half a dozen or more in our neighborhood, I think) took turns floating between houses (ours was dragged back and forth between three houses on the kids' sled), to run furnaces and sump pumps and prevent flooded basements.

Of course, none of my EWEs measure up to Katrina, and what was/is required of those hardy souls coping with same. They still need good neighbors, friends. What else can we do to help?

2. How important is it that we wake up to issues such as global warming?
I believe it is irresponsible to do anything else.

3. The Christian message needs to include stewardship of the earths resources; agree/disagree?
Wholly agree. 'nough said.

And because it is summer- on a brighter note....

4. What is your favourite season and why?
There are parts of all seasons I love, which is why I'm grateful to live in a place that has them all. However, my favorites are the transitions. Spring, with the new green and the sudden new blooms, like grace notes accenting a piece of music. And Fall, with the riot of colors against a crisp autumn sky, as the leaves change (one of the things I do miss about the midwest).

5. Describe your perfect vacation weather....
Cool mornings and evenings, and warm (but not hot!) sunny days-- the sort where you hike around in shorts and a t-shirt, adding a sweatshirt as needed at the beginning and end of the day. If there's a day in there with a gentle rain as an accent-- for a walk, or curling up with a good book-- that's okay, too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

one or two folk have suggested extreme is a matter of perspective- and I guess that is right- thank you for the reminder about Hurricane Katrina and all the folks still struggling in the aftermath.

July 27, 2007 9:51 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well played!

July 27, 2007 2:15 PM  

Blogger Barbara B. said...

I just now discovered your blog! My undergrad school was Carroll in Helena. I'll be back to visit again!

July 28, 2007 3:57 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Welcome, Barbara! I drive over to Helena on a semi-regular basis, as that's where our diocesan offices are.

I'm glad you found me. Come on back anytime!

July 28, 2007 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home