/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Summer camp

My, it's been busy here! Sorry for the delay, folks. I've been catching up on a lot of things, and the blog had to wait.

So, how was camp? As you can see from the picture (this was my home away from home for the week), the living is suitably rustic. The weather was hot and rainy for the first part of the week, and then dried up and chilled off-- so we were soggy and sweaty, except for when we were adding layers and shivering at night.


This was the boy's first year as an official camper (he was there years ago, as a young mascot-- along for the ride because his mom was on staff, but really too young to participate in the whole experience). I asked him, partway through the week, if he was having a good time, and got an enormous grin as a response. "What's your favorite part?" I inquired further.

Silence. Then, "Oh, that's hard... "

And me? I came back exhausted, with uncounted mosquito bites on my legs. As chaplain, I assisted at worship, sang some very silly and profound music, dealt with homesickness and sunburn, mediated between conflicted preteens, listened to stressed rookie counselors, and helped to treat the first outbreak of lice in the history of the diocesan camp program.

I can't wait until next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home