/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, May 27, 2005

"I'd like to thank the Academy..."

Awards Night is a ritual we share every year here. First we celebrate a formal Eucharist, which incorporates various academic and leadership awards granted by the seminary. Graduating students are also given Seabury cross pendants. In most cases, students also give smaller crosses to spouses and children; after all, they have worked as hard and sacrificed as much in the last three years as the graduates have done, to support and manage this trip through the adventure that is seminary education.

Then we move to dinner, entertainment provided by the senior class, and distribution of more prizes-- these developed by the students, and ranging from amusing to affectionate to plainly ribald. Last night, the after-dinner theme really was about awards-- the Academy Awards, Seabury style. Instead of Oscars, there were little Jesus nightlights given out for various performances in our time here-- awards that were loaded with inside jokes, and double entendres, and love.

I did not earn any of the former prizes this year; but I was remembered by my classmates during the latter festivities. In addition to my statue, I was given a mask and purple cape as I was named The Best Actress in a Film Adapted From a Book: for performance as the buxom yet wholesome Indiana farm girl who discovers the magical powers of scripture in "Bible-rella."

Well, you gotta start somewhere. Wonder if this should go in my Church Deployment Office profile... ?

2 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

I wrote mine before I read yours. Really I did.

Congrats, Bible-rella!

May 27, 2005 12:22 PM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

I was looking through some old photos today. Turns out I have a picture of Bible-rella in action.

May 28, 2005 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home