/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Camping!

Tomorrow morning, bright and early, the boy and I will be packing up a week's worth of "can't live without," and heading east to our diocesan Summer Camp. He'll be a camper this year, lodging in the Lower Camp (3rd - 6th grade) with an as yet unknown number of 5th and 6th grade boys. Meanwhile, I will be serving as the Upper Camp (7th - 9th grade) chaplain. Yes, they were desperate enough for clergy that the rookie deacon qualifies.

Seriously, this is one area where I'm not such a rookie. I've worked summer camps many, many times in the past-- from the time I was 16, back when "adult supervision" meant the camp director, who was usually somewhere on the grounds (independence which was heady stuff, and great fun-- and from a parent's point of view, I feel much better about the way things are run now). I've always been a cabin counselor, living in with girls of varying ages; and for the most part I've enjoyed the time immensely.

This year, however, will be different. I will be living in the chaplain's quarters. Oh, my days will still be spent hanging with the kids during activities and worship, projects and programs, meals and campfires. At bedtime, however, I get to retire to my cabin in solitary splendor. I will not be kept awake listening to those who snore or talk or grind their teeth in their sleep. Nor will I need to keep a watchful eye out for hormone-ridden charges trying to sneak out for a midnight tryst.

I think I'm going to like this gig.

So far as I know, there is no internet access at the campground, so there will be a lot of radio silence around here for the next several days. To the three or four of you who stop by regularly: I promise a full report when I get back.

See you next week!

5 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Have fun!

June 11, 2005 10:23 PM  

Blogger Justin said...

fun...

i always liked going to the dean's cabin (the equal of the chaplin at Lake Springfield Baptist Camp) to take my allergy medicine because when pastor Bill was the dean he would pop in a window air conditioner :-)

Have Fun!

June 13, 2005 7:51 AM  

Blogger David said...

Awesome, I love camp. How long will you be there?
I served the last two years on staff, but could not work it into my schedule this year. I will miss it.

June 13, 2005 11:44 AM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

You will be missed. Have a great time. Details are expected upon your return.

June 13, 2005 2:35 PM  

Blogger The Lovely Wife said...

I could handle that gig too. It would be nice to have a break from all the back log of typing that I got upon my return from Chicago. Im thinking somewhere with no computer might be good about now.

June 15, 2005 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home