/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Gifts


Now, where did I leave off? Let's see. . .

Tuesday - Senior class dinner, and we had a marvelous time: gifts of great conversation and great food were present in quantity. If you're ever up on the north side of Chicago, stop by Wishbone for dinner, and leave room for dessert. Wow.

Wednesday - I used up some ordination gift certificates at The Bookshelf, and emerged just in time to greet Rev. Ref. and the Lovely Wife as they arrived on campus, after the marathon drive from Montana. They brought home with them, though. The Rev. had donned his cowboy cleric best, from hat to boots, and LW came bearing gifts: Moose Drool dark ale and Bear Poo candy (no, I am not making this up-- and both were tasty, though I will admit to preferring the chocolate to the beer).

I served as AKMA's deacon and preached in the chapel that afternoon, for the last time as a student. It was good: no one ran screaming from the nave, and it felt right to be able to really begin my goodbyes that way. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity-- to have been given the gift of that service.

That evening I went with a group out to dinner, where I ate way too much Italian food and shared some yummy strawberry shortcake. After that we wandered back to Heather's place for further conviviality, and gifts of music from Susie and Si, custom-made for our Seabury family tree.

Thursday - Rehearsal for commencement, and much senioritis was present. Afterward the Ref. and I went out to eat. We've had a long-standing agreement, he and I, that whoever got out to visit the other first would be treated to dinner; one of the rare occasions I've been happy to lose a bet. The rest of the evening was spent with friends, being silly and serious, laughing and crying... sharing the gift of some last-minute memories worth keeping.

Friday - Graduation. Words of comfort and love; uncounted hugs given and received; family and dear friends present; smiles shining through the sparkle of tears... gifts too numerous to mention.

Then Frank graciously allowed a group of us to co-opt his backyard and grill for an impromptu barbecue-- an extra gift of unexpected time together, shared over food and drink.

And then we loaded the last of my dorm room boxes into car and truck, and headed home. No, that's not quite right. My husband and the kids left immediately; I tarried just a while longer. Long enough to spend some time sitting in my favorite spot in the chapel: the gift of one final prayer, one final quiet conversation in that sacred space.

And then, in the car and home. A few remaining tears, and then singing along with a CD-- another musical gift-- cranked to unreasonable volume as I cruised down Lake Shore Drive and the Dan Ryan.

This has been a jam-packed, complicated, marvelous, bittersweet, joyful time. And I thank God for each and every second of it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Congratulations, Sister!

I am proud of you. Glad all went well.

June 06, 2005 8:00 AM  

Blogger Don said...

Jane -- I, too, am very proud for you even though we know each other mostly through this blog. God's blessings on you and your family in this new period of your lives.

June 06, 2005 2:38 PM  

Blogger David said...

waytogo class of 05
It's been great being a small part of your journey - and the special treat of meeting you in good ole Mississippi!
I hope you will keep the blog up. You will find it hard at times, but here's one faithful viewer who will continue to join in from time to time.
Congrats!

June 07, 2005 10:13 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

You've received so many gifts, and you are a gift to so many.

Blessings and congratulations.

June 09, 2005 2:39 PM  

Blogger Emily said...

Congratulations--a bittersweet time I imagine, but I'm sure you're ready to put all you've learned to use. Great to see the graduation photo, too!

June 09, 2005 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home