/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Monday, November 15, 2004

1975

As I was driving to church today (for the first time; see above), I turned to a local "rock 'n' roll oldies" station, just as the DJ was introducing the morning's program. Typically, she focuses on the music that was popular for a given year, and yesterday she had chosen 1975. "I remember 1975," she enthused. "It was a very good year."

So I got to thinking. I can remember 1975, too. I was mostly 13 that year; turned 14 in August, just in time to start high school. I learned a lot, that year...
  • I learned that being prepared carries a different connotation for adult women, and one of the reasons we often carry purses.
  • I learned the weight of having to be responsible.
  • I learned the pain of having someone I loved and trusted implicitly, betray that trust.
  • I learned the joy of having an enemy become a lifelong friend.
  • I learned there were some things my parents didn't need to know.
It was not, in many ways, an easy year; good mixed with bad, and sometimes hard to separate one from another. Looking back, I guess I realize now that, for many complicated reasons, it was the year I grew up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I learned there were some things that my parents didn't need to know."

You DO know that your kids-- legal and other-- read this, don't you? ;-)

November 15, 2004 7:49 AM  

Blogger Clueless Christian said...

An illuminating list.

1975.
1. Graduated high school and began college.
2. Published my first scientific article.
3. Was away from family for for than 18 hours for the first time in my life.
4. First romance.
5. First group of close buddies that did not include either my brother or sister.
6. First (only) attempt at alcohol abuse. (Result prolonged migraine headache).
7. First (only) attempt at smoking marujuana. (Result prolonged migraine headache).
8. Moderate experimentation in minor antisocial behavior ("lighter-fluid cannon wars", "elevator surfing" (jumping from the top of one moving elevator to the other, after having gotten inside the elevator casing, picking locks in empty buildings in order to explore the maze of underground heating ducts that connect the various Northwestern buildings.

A good year.

November 15, 2004 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home