/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, October 29, 2004

Honorable men

An old-fashioned expression, I suppose; but then, I have a solid streak of old-fashioned idealism in me, so there you go.

I've found myself thinking about this quite a bit recently-- as I've read some of the reactions to the Windsor Report; as we hosted our neighbors to the north last week, and then heard and read different takes on that; and in my more commonplace interactions with family, friends and classmates.

So, what does an honorable man look like? Glad you asked. I don't know that any list of attributes would be awfully different for the women I know, but my experiences this week have dealt largely with men, so that's where my consideration lies at the moment.

Anyway, it seems to me that it includes:
  • Humor: The ability to laugh at oneself, and to maintain a sense of perspective.
  • Respect: A willingness to listen-- and to disagree, when appropriate, without resorting to disparagement, insult or ridicule.
  • Fidelity: Not offering promises or commitments lightly, but making every effort to keep them when they are made.
  • Integrity: Innate dependability; being as utterly genuine as possible-- even when it might be easier or more pleasant not to.
  • Sensitivity: Not the schmaltzy talk-show sort, but a genuine concern for the impact one has on others.
  • Honesty: 'Nough said.
I am blessed by the grace of God to be married to one such man; and to have in my circle of friends and acquaintences any number of others. Tripp and Todd and Micah, Ryan and Cliff and Mark... look down my blogroll, and you'll find several more. I think I'm more disturbed when I encounter dishonorable behavior, precisely because I know so well some shining examples of men who quietly go about being better than that, every day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Wow...I am honored to be listed among such fine company. Thank you. Did you read Taylor Marshall's (Nashotah) reaction to the Lavabo Bowl? When Reverend Ref mentioned it, I had to go look it up, which took some doing because he doesn't link to his archives. but when I found it and read it, I was really disturbed. Truly disturbed. That kind of thing really makes me sad. Find it here.In any event, thank you.

-R

October 29, 2004 2:01 PM  

Blogger Ryan said...

Ok, that link didn't work. Here it is:

http://taylormarshall.blogspot.com/2004/10/nashotah-vanquishes-seabury-western-in.html

-R

October 29, 2004 2:01 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Yes, Ryan, I read it. That was one of the items that factored into this reflection.

October 29, 2004 3:46 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

For the record, the "black mass" in question was a straightforward Rite I liturgy, with plainsong psalm (yours truly served as cantor) and hymnody all out of the Hymnal 1982. The preacher was Dr. Frank Yamada, professor of Old Testament at Seabury-- and you can find his sermon here. The presider was the Rev. Dr. Ellen Wondra, Professor of Theology and Ethics, and the newest member of our faculty.

The more traditional service, I am told, was planned by the MC as a gesture of hospitality to those of a more conservative theological bent that we knew would be coming. I am truly sorry it was not seen as such.

October 29, 2004 6:05 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

I guess Taylor missed Frank's sermon.

It is awfully difficult to love that one across the table, isn't it.

October 29, 2004 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home