/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

We've got spirit, yes we do...

There are some things in this world I will never understand.

Like, even if Columbine had never happened... what sort of misguided idiocy approves mimicking a gangland execution at a pep rally as conducive to school spirit?

Apparently the principal of Nacogdoches (TX) High School, who termed it "simple, innocent satire" and "a little country, cowboy-type skit." He was in fact so supportive that he edited student criticism of the event in the school paper to remove any disapproval of his decision.

Thankfully, not everyone in the administration agreed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi.

October 15, 2008 5:02 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm the one who says you can have my gun when you can pry it from cold dead fingers... but... this little incident is bad... VERY bad.

October 15, 2008 9:18 AM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Fr. John: I would agree. I have my daddy's shotgun in the closet, I know how to use it, and I would not be inclined to cooperate if Big Brother ever tried to take it away.

However, as you note, this bit was bad-- reckless and unthinking. Quite frankly, it gave me the creeps.

October 15, 2008 11:39 AM  

Blogger Ecgbert said...

Like so much in mainstream society's obsession with sport (which fans like Ref admit is out of control) it was in very, very bad taste. That said it's nothing new and I can't get that outraged over it.

I've seen an old photo (from about 50 years ago) from a local RC school of a pep rally with a mock cemetery complete with crosses for the other team.

You could write an entire post about the semi-blasphemies when religious schools and game hysteria mix: 'We're gonna clobber Christ the King!' As you're from the home state of Notre Dame and I imagine from a rival school chances are you already know that.

Beaucoup coolness points for the comment about the shotgun.

October 17, 2008 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home