/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Diocesan Convention

That was my weekend. Three days of meeting, chatting, praying, worshiping with Episcopalians from all over the state. The bullet points:

  • Saturday morning was taken up with service projects. Some 200 Episcopalians were swarming all over Billings: filling food pantry sacks, serving lunches at the rescue mission, or (in my case) painting bathrooms at a domestic violence shelter... being Jesus' hands and feet in the world.
  • The only budget controversy involved the observation that our small diocesan staff has not had a raise in 3 years. I'm glad someone noticed; but geez... it took two hours to decide how best to provide at least a cost of living increase. (Lord, give me patience with those who would, given the opportunity, wallow in Process and Detail until the second coming). I am grateful they managed to figure something out. Those good people work very hard, and I would not like the thought of trying to do my job without them.
  • We had five resolutions to be considered, ranging from pulpit exchanges to the ministry of youth in the church, to proposing changes to Eucharistic prayers for presentation at General Convention next summer. It was a docket that could have taken half a day if allowed to do so. I was chair of the Resolutions Committee: it was my job to see that it did not. People needed the opportunity to speak, of course: but I was able to outline a format which also respected the time constraints. Unlike the budget discussion, we stayed on schedule.
  • At our closing Eucharist, a fine young man was ordained as a transitional deacon. I could wish for the opportunity to get to know him better, but he's off to NYC, serving with the Seaman's Church Institute. Godspeed, Jed!

And now... I only have one extrovert gene, and after being ON for three days it is exhausted. Hot tea, and early bedtime here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home