/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, April 25, 2008

RevGal Friday Five - Ancient Modern edition

1. What modern convenience/invention could you absolutely, positively not live
without?
A hot water heater. I can function without a lot of things that I take for granted every day. It's one of the reasons I like camping. Cooking over an open fire, using candles for lighting, and hiking or riding horseback or driving a wagon to get around all have a certain appeal. However, I would so not want to be boiling water every time I went to wash something, or take a bath... that big ol' tank in the basement is My Friend.

2. What modern convenience/invention do you wish had never seen the light of day? Why?
I can't think of anything that I find wholly irredeemable; even cell phones have their virtues, and I'd be hard-pressed to do the job I do without one. But the the way they sound off EVERYWHERE... LOUDLY... with an infinite variety of ringtones that all sound obnoxious... That. Needs. To. Stop.

3. Do you own a music-playing device older than a CD player? More than one? If so, do you use it (them)?
We gave away our turntable when we moved here, two years ago. In spite of that, I cling tenaciously to a small collection of albums that saw me through my teen and college years. No logic at all, I know; but there it is.

4. Do you find the rapid change in our world exciting, scary, a mix...or something else?
I think of the nursery rhyme: "When it is good, it is very, very good; and when it is bad, it is horrid." A mix of good and evil, as life has always been, only at an accelerated pace.

5. What did our forebears have that we have lost and you'd like to regain? Bonus points if you have a suggestion of how to begin that process.
A tolerance for silence. Finding quiet takes real effort-- even when we turn off the radios and televisions (which I do more and more these days), there is still an ever-present hum of electronic devices doing their thing-- and when we do, we don't know how to behave. It takes me a while to get past the fidgets; but when I do, it's such a blessing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

Yes, absolutely to silence. (And also to the hot water heaters!!!)

April 25, 2008 7:52 AM  

Blogger Rev Honey said...

Hot water heater was a close second to my choice of the automobile!

April 25, 2008 8:11 AM  

Blogger RevAnne said...

Hot water--another thing I take for granted. And silence--what a blessing. Now we pay to go to retreat centers to get what we used to be able to have even to excess. Great play.

April 25, 2008 9:46 AM  

Blogger RevDrKate said...

I am so with you about hot water...and silence! And I am glad to know that I am not the only with a small collection of vinyl that I cling to for no apparent reason.

April 25, 2008 10:56 AM  

Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Well, yes. I could not have my hot shower and great plumbing would be not so great without the hot water heater!

April 25, 2008 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home