/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Saturday, April 12, 2008

March Madness

Months ago, I declared an interest in learning to knit socks. This is a more complicated thing than the standard hats and scarves I've done to date; socks are knit in the round, so they traditionally use a bunch of double point needles (dpn's) that look a whole lot like long toothpicks. The thought of being coordinated enough to manage this was an intimidating thing for me, as I do not have a long track record of being gifted with a high degree of coordination. Okay, so I'm a klutz.

However, once Lent and Holy Week were past, I decided that this was as good a time as any to give it a shot. My own little challenge, if you will, in the midst of March Madness. And after several false starts, it's actually working! The knitters at one of my churches have been quite helpful, as have the good folks at Wild Purls-- a lovely, friendly little yarn shop in Billings.

Behold, the sock!

You'll note that this was last week, before the NCAA tournament ended. I've made more progress since then, and am almost up (or down?) to the heel.

(Yes, I fill in my own brackets as the tournament goes on. The highlighter colors help to track various conferences. What's that? OCD? No, I don't think so. Just... organized.)

4 Comments:

Blogger KnittinPreacher said...

your first socks are Beautiful! and wait until you see te magic of turnign the heel. It still amazes me!

April 12, 2008 8:56 PM  

Blogger Crimson Rambler said...

Congratulations! years ago I taught a friend to knit. She was TOTALLY left-handed, I'm totally not, it worked beautifully; she sat facing me and mirrored everything I did. Our children were in Highland Dancing at that point, and she decided --having become very proficient at straight knitting -- that she could economize on the outfits by knitting their (Argyle!) socks.
She phoned me about 11 p.m.: "It says, TURN. What do I do?" I explained. "But that will make it ... ALL WRONG." I managed to convince her to press on. Phone call a half hour later. "IT'S MAKING A ... HEEL!!!!" Happy memories.

April 15, 2008 11:33 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

COOL!

Henry is also crazy - i mean talented - and is in the middle of a pair of socks. he got one done...we´ll see how long the 2nd one takes... :)

heather

April 17, 2008 1:08 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Circular needles, that's what my daughter uses. I've seen her knitting both socks of a pair at once on circular needles.

April 17, 2008 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home