Rev Gal Friday Five: Million Dollar Edition
You mean, after checking with the bank to see if someone didn't make a mistake? After all, I never responded to that nice email from Nigeria...
- 1. A tithe to my churches-- which would not only provide a desperately needed cushion, but might even allow for a stipendiary assistant, at least half-time. (four churches is too many for one priest to do more than a minimally adequate job; and my assistant, though wonderful, is limited in his availability because of the need to maintain his day job. More clerical leadership would be a real godsend!)
- 2. Pay off the seminary debt. Student loans, car loan... we've made inroads the last few years, but still have a ways to go.
- 3. Augment the kids' college funds, and our long term savings. The first child is currently in college, and has maybe three years to go, while the second one is only a few years away from starting-- and payments to these got short shrift the years I was in school.
- 4. Travel-- I'd love to See The World, one piece at a time. Hike around the British Isles... retrace Paul's journeys... wear a sari in India , or shop for sapphires in Sri Lanka. I don't know where I'd start, but I'd be breaking in a passport, big time.
- 5. Toys! Fabric and yarn, of course; and a new, kick@$ computer. Mine is definitely on its last legs; and while a new one is going to be here soon (part of a national church grant for connecting the churches in our far-flung diocese), it was a necessary compromise in stretching dollars, of course. Besides, it will not really be mine.