/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Monday, March 17, 2008

Protecting us from ourselves?



After the normal voicemail dance, pressing buttons and waiting for a Live Person... Good morning, Patient Insurance & Accounts.

Me: Good morning. I am calling to ask about a check I wrote to cover our insurance co-pay, for a medical appointment for our daughter, back in January. It has not cleared yet.

PIA: Okay... (pause for keyboard clicking) Oh, wait. Your daughter is over 18. I'm sorry, I'll need to talk to her about this.

Me: I understand about HIPAA regulations, but I do not need any medical information. This is about a check I wrote, and I simply want to find out why it has not cleared.

PIA: We cannot discuss patient accounts with anyone but the patient or her authorized party.

Me: If you check the record, you'll see that I am already listed as the responsible party on her account. I can give you any pertinent identification information you require.

PIA: I am sorry, but I need to talk to her directly.

Me: But her consent is part of the record.

PIA: I cannot check the record without her consent.

*pause for grinding teeth, banging head on wall.*

Later, daughter called back, and the PIA happily gave her the information we needed-- without at any time verifying her identity. Never asked her birthdate, no social security number, nothing.

I so should have lied.

4 Comments:

Blogger ymp said...

I just had two versions of that conversation in the last few weeks.
Frustrating isn't it?

March 17, 2008 1:12 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can deal with all of that, except for the last part.

Somehow, this reminds me of your husband's last post.

March 17, 2008 5:37 PM  

Blogger The Lovely Wife said...

I personally think that you should call back and ask to talk to a supervisor and complain.

March 18, 2008 10:34 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, wait: We can open the record for an authorized party, but we don't know who the authorized parties are until we open the record?

Okay, system is officially broken.

March 21, 2008 1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home