/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, September 07, 2007

Friday 5: Overcoming

1.Have you experienced God's faithfulness at a difficult time? Tell as much or as little as you like...
Perhaps the first time I was truly aware of this was years ago, when we were first married. My husband was in grad school and I was the primary wage earner. Life was pretty smooth. Then we went through a period of adventures. I was laid off... took a year to find a new job, and then got pregnant... husband's fledgling business went sour, and we were sued by a dishonest partner... It was not pretty.

And yet... we survived. We never went hungry, all our needs were met, we were cared for, and able to care for others, by God's grace. There were times that grace was almost physically palpable.

2. Have you experienced a dark night of the soul, if so what brought you through?
Yes, I have. One thing I've found helpful is music. No answers; but calm, and patient, and expressing the sacred in a way that I could not. That's how I began to learn that the presence of God is not dependent on whether I "feel" it.

3. Share a Bible verse, song, poem that has brought you comfort?
Through seminary, Thomas Merton's prayer hung on the wall over my desk.
My God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore, I will trust you always
though I may seem to be lost
in the shadow of death.
I will not fear for you are ever with me
and you will never leave me
to face my perils alone.

4. Is "why suffering" a valid question?
Is there such a thing as an invalid question, before God?

5. And on a lighter note- you have reached the end of a dark and difficult time- how are you going to celebrate?
The perfect celebration: good food, good drink, good music, and a good friend or two with whom to share them.

1 Comments:

Blogger QuakerPastor said...

Thanks so much for the Merton--I'm gonna hang that in my office!
blessings and peace!

September 07, 2007 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home