/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, August 17, 2007

RevGal Friday Five - Word Association

Below you will find five words. Tell us the first thing you think of on reading each one. Your response might be simply another word, or it might be a sentence, a poem or a story (Each of these appears in one of the readings from this Sunday's lectionary).

1. Vineyard - I've only ever visited one: the Huber Winery (believe it or not, the Hoosier State is one of the nation's top wine producers). It was fun! They had tours and tastings, of course, as well as a small petting zoo that our then young children really enjoyed. Judging from the website, it's gotten much bigger over the years.

2. Root - "There are two things that a good parent tries to give their children. One is roots, and the other wings." This may be a trite old saying, but it's true. I've been seeing the results lately when the effort has been there, and when it is not. I hope our children will always feel they can depend on us; but oh, I do want them to fly!

3. Rescue - Mark just got back from a week's deployment as part of his summer Air Force training. They've practiced a lot of rescuing (physical, mental and spiritual), under intentionally pressured conditions.

4. Perseverance - I've been watching a young woman plug through the effort of getting her life on a better track, by God's grace beginnning-- just beginning-- to overcome some less than optimal choices in her life. It will take a lot of perseverence to get where she wants to be, but she's on a healthy track for the first time in a long time. It's good to see.

5. Divided - This is what I've done with the baking I've done today-- breads and rolls, divided into family-use-sized packets and stored in the freezer. It soothes the housewifely side of my soul, to have the fruits of my labors laid away like that. Yes, I'm a throwback.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I had the same thoughts when I read "rescue" on your blog. :-)

August 17, 2007 8:12 PM  

Blogger Barbara B. said...

That's surprising that the 'Hoosier State' is a top wine producer! I checked out the Huber Winery link -- looks really nice there.

August 18, 2007 9:25 AM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Setting aside California as WAY beyond the rest of the country, I believe that Indiana was at one time among the top 10 producers in the nation. Now, there have been more to spring up all over in recent years, so I don't know if that is still true. You can see more about them here.

August 18, 2007 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home