/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, August 31, 2007

Friday 5: The Seasons are a-changin'

It's Labor Day weekend here in the United States, also known as Summer's Last Hurrah. So let's say goodbye to summer and hello to the autumn. (People in other climes, feel free to adapt as needed.)

1. Share a highlight from this summer. (If you please, don't just say "our vacation to the Canadian Rockies." Give us a little detail or image. Help us live vicariously through you!)
Oh, this one's easy-- our camping vacation! You can see and read about it here, and here, and here, and here. It was a wonderful trip, and I am very grateful to be living in such an incredible part of God's good creation.

2. Are you glad to see this summer end? Why or why not?
This is a both/and answer; I always find the change of seasons to be a bittersweet thing.

I'm glad because this summer has been really unreasonably hot, and I'm grateful to see the dreadful, oppressive heat pass (If I had wanted 100°F days, I'd have moved to Arizona!). I've also learned to breathe a sigh of relief as we get to the end of the wildfire season.

On the other hand, I will miss the early morning light as the days become shorter, and the feel of the summer morning, which has such a sweet, gentle texture. I will miss the presence of various "summer people" in our congregations, as they begin to wander away to spend their winter months elsewhere. And we've had some family adventures this year, that I'm just as glad to have receding into the past.

3. Name one or two things you're looking forward to this fall.
Finishing the work in the basement, so that we have our garage back! We've been using that area as storage and work space, and it is a real goal of mine to be able to get the cars back in before the snow flies.

4. Do you have any special preparations or activities to mark the transition from one season to another? (Cleaning of house, putting away summer clothes, one last trip to the beach)
Fall cleaning! There are some annual and bi-annual jobs I do. Washing windows. Sorting through closets to clear out what is worn out/hasn't been worn/no longer fits. Changing the furnace filters.

5. I'll know that fall is really here when...
...the furnace kicks on for the first time. Or when we light the first fire in the fireplace, and I curl up in front of it with a mug and a good book. Oh, I do love that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

I like that you gain people in the congregation during the summer... we just lose ours.

August 31, 2007 8:48 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful summer vacation you had. I bet you are relieved to get past this fire season.

September 02, 2007 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home