/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, June 11, 2004

Swimsuit angst

I spent the afternoon shopping with my daughter. CJ is leaving for camp on Sunday-- she's a CIT at our diocesan summer camp, and will be gone for a week.

Now, shopping with a teenage girl can be an adventure; but the one for whom I am responsible is not especially difficult. She's neither unduly picky nor label conscious, and she has an eye for a bargain. So we were generally able to cruise around and snag most of the things she needed easily enough-- sunblock, a new beach towel, disposable camera... even a couple summer tops off the sale rack, that are really very cute.

Then, we moved to the swimsuit section. Not a necessity, but they spend enough time at the lake at camp that another would be nice to have.

Suddenly (and this will not surprise a single woman who might be reading this), shopping ceased being easy, and became instead an exercise in frustration.

Even the recent trend toward selling bikini tops and bottoms separately didn't help-- because if she found one piece that she liked, and that fit, the other piece was not available in her size.

Whoever designs these suits, does so with someone far different in mind than my daughter-- or most of the women I know, actually. God knows I dread the thought of my current suit wearing out.

There's got to be a better way.

Suggestions, anyone?

6 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Lands' End.

Oops. Not enough time.

June 11, 2004 8:13 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Lands' End

June 11, 2004 8:13 PM  

Blogger Ryan said...

Hmmm...you may initially think that my commenting on this post would be a bit out of place. And I agree, normally, it would. But, I do have one piece of advice for you to consider. I worked as a Diocesan Summer Camp Counselor last summer and the rule at our camp was no two-piece bathing suits. As you mentioned looking at bikini tops and bottoms separately, I just thought I'd throw that out there. It might be something you want to inquire about.

-R

June 12, 2004 11:09 AM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Wes: Thanks. We've bought things from Land's End before; but had no luck this go 'round-- and then, as you say, time caught up with us.

Ryan: The restriction you mention is one that had not occurred to me, and I will keep it in mind should she/we ever get involved in another place. However, I am very familiar with the summer camp in our diocese, having been on staff myself, off and on, for many years; and it has no such rule.

Additionally, I have very little fear of you commenting inappropriately. In fact, I hope you feel free to chime in whenever the mood strikes you; I try to maintain an equal opportunity blog (^_^).

June 12, 2004 3:18 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Several of my friends have noted this awkward discrepancy, and the solution they follow is to buy a top and then go find a bottom in the men's swimwear section that will match. Not having been dragged along on one of these trips recently, I can't speak personally as to its effectiveness, but how many teenage girls can't be wrong?

-Si

June 13, 2004 7:26 AM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

Now here's a topic that can't be delayed long enough in my family. Or maybe that's just a dad thing.

June 16, 2004 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home