/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Thursday, March 06, 2003

Trust


Community issues here continue to amaze and confuse me. We had a class meeting today, that dissolved into one of those moments where nothing is accomplished and everybody seems to walk away upset. I know I did. First off, I really don't like being cut off and not allowed to finish a thought, and having that happen was really irritating. Secondly, I was one of four people who had volunteered to be nominated for some jobs here, who were more or less set aside. Our offer to serve in these roles was misinterpreted as some sort of power grab, as though we were running as some "straight party ticket"-- all or nothing. We said specifically that was not what we were about-- we were four people offering to serve the community in these positions, and if others also wanted to volunteer for one post or another, that was great. More assurance that the positions would be filled, and filled well. Somehow, that didn't get heard.

As I've thought about it, I've come to believe that the issue is one of trust. For whatever reason, I feel like the rest of my classmates did not trust the folks that volunteered. Our intentions? Our abilities? I don't know which; either way, it hurts.

Forgive us Lord, for we are sinners in your sight.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home