/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, February 28, 2003

Tolerance?


Jeff and Laura have some thoughts to share about the virtue of tolerance, and how it is practiced, or not. If I've done this right, you should be able to click and check them out. (My blog education continues...)

There's a distinction we need to make here that often gets lost: the difference between "tolerance" and "acceptance." Acceptance generally indicates approval. I like what you do, I agree with what you say. Tolerance, by definition, assumes disagreement. We are not going to be of the same mind on an issue, but we are committing to work together and love one another in the face of that.

That's the struggle of Christian witness: acknowledgement of sin as unacceptable in Christian life, while treating with tolerance and love all of those (including yours truly) who continue to sin, and to cling to sinful behavior.

Is it my place to say, "You're a sinner, and not welcome here?" No. My place is to follow Jesus, who ate with sinners, and loved them-- and me, and you-- to the point of torturous death, even while He did not pussyfoot around the problem of evil. To speak out in love about both the unacceptablilty of sin and the guaranteed acceptability, through God's unmerited grace, of the sinner, is a daunting challenge.

Dear Lord be with me, because only through You is this remotely possible.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home