/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Thursday, March 06, 2003

Communication


My first Ash Wednesday at Seabury, and two moments stand out. A woman from outside our community sat near me in chapel during Eucharist. It made me acutely aware once again of the incredible amount of book juggling that we do here, in the name of exploring all the church's liturgical resources. I've gotten used to it, (more so than I had realized until now) so I was able to be helpful. We had a short chat after worship, in defiance of Quiet Day custom (of which she was unaware, and I felt no need to share at that point).

Returned to custom for lunch, and my sewing/prep time afterward in the refectory. Other people were using the space at the same time, for reading and writing, which I hadn't expected. I don't generally sew around people. It makes me uneasy, and it's disorienting-- rather like having somebody watching me meditate. But not this time. Once I got past the fidgets, it was a comfortable and comforting space, and I was blessed by the silent community. Thanks, folks.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home