/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Fourth Day of Christmas: family

Lovely Christmas Eve here, with candles and carols and joyful worship.

24 hours later, we were getting off the plane and driving to Indiana; vacation (my first in months) had begun! We first spent a couple days up in the northwest corner (aka "The Region" for former Hoosiers), staying with my sister and her family. My brother and his family came down from MN, and Dad flew in from Arizona; so we had the whole tribe together for a nice visit.

This morning we worshiped at our old church (the parish that sponsored me for ordination). It was a traditional Lessons & Carols service. Well, quasi-traditional-- some of the music was very contemporary, and while (unlike some of my esteemed colleagues) I do not object to that, I found the selected pieces difficult to sing. Oh, well. We did have a nice visit with the folks there afterward.

Then this afternoon we got in the rental car and drove south to Indianapolis. A nice day for a drive, except for two things: the road was in lousy shape (are you listening, State Infrastructure People?) and we listened to the Bears game on the radio all the way down. Not a good day for the Monsters of the Midway.

Bruce has one sister who lives in Indy, and another drove up from southern part of the state for some good visiting time. Several of the younger cousins latched onto Kyle immediately; 10 minutes later they were all clambering up the huge pine tree by the driveway.

I will be content to get back next week; but it's good to spend the time, to renew relationships.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Have a great visit.

I65 is the worst. interstate. highway. ever. Either it is a) coated with ice or b)the ruts in it make me lose my fillings.

Thank you for your comment over at my place.

December 28, 2008 7:54 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

You're right about I-65. Holy cow, it was even worse than I remembered.

And you're welcome. (^_^)

December 28, 2008 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home