/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday 5: Seasonal Grinching

(From Will Smama and the Rev Gals...)

Parishioners pushing for carols before you digested your turkey?

Organist refusing to play Advent hymns because he/she already has them planned for Lessons & Carols?

Find yourself reading Luke and thinking of a variety of ways to tell Linus where to stick it? (Lights please.)

Then this quick and easy Friday Five is for you! And for those of you with a more positive attitude, have no fear. I am sure more sacred and reverent Friday Fives will follow.

Please tell us your least favorite/most annoying seasonal....

1) dessert/cookie/family food - The only thing that occurs to me is the cranberry sauce in a can. You know-- the kind you slice into little gelatinous rounds. My husband (otherwise a man with estimable tastes and habits, really!) enjoys it, so we have it for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. But for me... not so much.

2) beverage (seasonal beer, eggnog w/ way too much egg and not enough nog, etc...)
Egg nog, period! To be fair, I haven't tried it since I was a young girl-- but that's because it was nasty, nasty, nasty. No, thank you. I'd rather have the cranberry sauce.

3) tradition (church, family, other) - I will admit that I'm not fond of the Yankee Swap-- a tradition developed with my husband's siblings, several years ago. Each person brings a small ($5 or so limit) wrapped gift. Then numbers are drawn, we take turns selecting and unwrapping, and the trading, bartering and (mostly) friendly bickering begins. I play when we're there, because I do want to participate with the family; but it's really not my idea of a good time.

4) decoration - The huge inflatables that are becoming all the rage. Snowmen, Santa, Rudolph... and all Larger Than Life! We have one neighbor who has several of them, including a carousel in a snow globe, taking over her yard. A snow globe. Outside. In Montana. Every time I pass it, my "live and let live" side does battle with the side that wants to find a BB gun...

5) gift (received or given) - Our kids have gotten old enough that the annoying gift era has passed; but my brother used to be the master of the genre. If there was a toy that made raucous noises, played bad music, or emitted noxious smoke, he was on it. One year he managed to find a robot for my nephew that did all three! He has kids of his own now, but my sister and I haven't tried to get even, because a) we do love our sister-in-law, his sweet wife, and b) he wouldn't mind.

BONUS: SONG/CD that makes you want to tell the elves where to stick it. Anything performed by barking dogs-- especially that godawful version of "Jingle Bells" that gets waaaay too much airplay. Thanks be to God the radio has multiple settings.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tripp Hudgins said...

Nice play, Jane Ellen!

December 02, 2007 4:25 AM  

Blogger Michael Ogden said...

Snow globes in Montana. I like it. Just posted "Have an Airy Christmas" on my blog re: inflatables.

December 02, 2007 8:02 AM  

Blogger Crimson Rambler said...

We prayed for Western Montana this morning and I wondered how many of the blog-gals live and flourish in that diocese...nice to think that the cycle of prayer holds us all!

December 02, 2007 4:29 PM  

Blogger Ecgbert said...

Regarding bad Christmas songs or renditions... cats meowing 'Greensleeves/What Child Is This?' I saw the video (!) of this once.

Next to either 'Santa Baby' or especially the Jackson Five with little Michael belting out 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus' (so that explains his problems?) I'll take the barking dogs.

Also I'm with Tripp on 'Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer'. It was funny. Once.

December 04, 2007 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home