/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Friday 5: Post Thanksgiving

1. Did you go elsewhere for the day, or did you have visitors at your place instead? How was it?
We had folks here: Rev. Ref, his Lovely Wife, and their two kids-- one home grown daughter, one temporarily adopted via foreign exchange. Nine people at the table altogether. This is the second year we've done this-- one more, and it may be entered in the canon as Tradition. (Why not? Seems to me the extremists in the church get away with that claim on far flimsier grounds, and to not nearly as good a purpose.) It's been a grand day.

2. Main course: If it was the turkey, the whole turkey, and nothing but the turkey, was it prepared in an unusual way? Or did you throw tradition to the winds and do something different?
Oh, we were entirely commonplace: turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, salad, cranberry sauce... and an assortment of pies for dessert.

3. Other than the meal, do you have any Thanksgiving customs that you observe every year?
Napping. Hanging out. Calling family who live far away. Not going to work. Nothing especially exciting here.

4. The day after Thanksgiving is considered a major Christmas shopping day by most US retailers. Do you go out bargain hunting and shop ‘till you drop, or do you stay indoors with the blinds closed? Or something in between?
I am not a shopper on my best day. The idea of braving the insanity that is "Black Friday" is so far beyond anything I'd plan to do on purpose... Not. A. Chance. I know, I know-- this may be the least stereotypically feminine facet of my personality. However, others here relish the adventure . So there will be a contingent, led by LW and our eldest, heading out first thing in the morning. The saner part of our little tribe will bide our time at home, and then meet the intrepid hunters later for a movie. I don't know which one; there are a couple options.

5. Let the HOLIDAY SEASON commence! When will your Christmas decorations go up?
Used to be we didn't put them up until the week before Christmas-- after our daughter's birthday on the 18th-- so as to provide a space that separated the two occasions for her. As she's gotten older, that's slid back a little; so we'll probably start in a bit sooner than that. At church, I'm a purist-- a wreath, purple vestments, and nothing related to the "C" word until Advent is over. One season at a time, people!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Shopping on "Black Friday" is not my cup of tea either. I'm not much of a shopper. My DH is the shopper. So much for that stereotype!

November 22, 2007 10:16 PM  

Blogger Sally said...

I'm so with you on the one season at a time thing, I need advent to celebrate Christmas properly.
Well played.

November 23, 2007 4:33 AM  

Blogger revhipchick said...

oooh, a movie sounds like great fun!

sounds like a wonderful thanksgiving!

blessings upon your advent season

November 23, 2007 6:28 AM  

Blogger Cathy said...

I am with you on the shopping. Still in nightgown here and have no plans to go out on Black Friday. well played!

November 23, 2007 7:41 AM  

Blogger Jan said...

I don't like shopping much either. I liked the thought of all those pies! I usually bake a pecan pie and a pumpkin pie, but with such a small group this year, I only baked a pumpkin.

November 23, 2007 8:36 AM  

Blogger more cows than people said...

i don't mind shopping, but no way in heck would i shop today!

sounds like a great thanksgiving. hope the film is a blast... that is good idea, btw...

November 23, 2007 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home