/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday 5: Food, glorious food!

(I'm glad that the Rev Gals do this Friday Five thing; it's a way to get back into my blog, when I've been delinquent!)

If you were a food, what would you be?
  • That's a hard question. Perhaps I'd be a hearty stew: on one hand, simple and straightforward and dependable; but also a blend of a whole lot of different (and sometimes unexpected) things that make up the whole.
What is one of the most memorable meals you ever had? And where?
  • When I was a child, I loathed salmon-- largely due to my grandmother. Please don't misunderstand, Gram was generally an excellent cook. But there were exceptions, and high on that list was a Lenten favorite of hers: salmon loaf. Even thinking about it makes me cringe. And I'm not alone-- to this day, the mention of that dish among my siblings will generate a visceral response. Made with canned salmon and bread crumbs, it looked like meat loaf, except that it was a disturbing shade of pink... and dry... and just plain nasty. *shudder*

    I grew up, got married, and moved away-- safely away, I thought, from ever having to be in the presence of that nasty pink fish ever again. Then it happened that we went out to dinner at a lovely restaurant with one of my husband's co-workers, who insisted I try some of the glazed salmon she had ordered. I took one bite, in order to keep the peace.

    Oh. My.

    Turns out that salmon is one of my favorite foods. Who knew?
What is your favorite comfort food from childhood?
  • For a meal, probably pot roast, covered and baked forever with potatoes, carrots and onions. We called it "stringy meat," because of the way the roast falls apart in the gravy. Mmmm....
  • But "comfort" also makes me think of when I had been sick, and my mother would make me toast with apple butter, and my own pot of tea in a little brown teapot. I still like to recover that way.
When going to a church potluck, what one recipe from your kitchen is sure to be a hit?
  • I like making desserts-- and homemade pie never fails. Fruit pies are my favorite: apple, or strawberry, or cherry.
What’s the strangest thing you ever willingly ate?
  • Calamari-- which looks like what it is, rubbery little tentacles all curled up... no, I'm not a fan.
  • On the other hand, my father used to put brains in his scrambled eggs... and that was actually pretty tasty.
Bonus question: What’s your favorite drink to order when looking forward to a great meal?
  • A really nice glass of wine. Pinot grigio, or maybe a nice shiraz, depending on what's on the menu.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

Calamari yes ... brains in scrambled eggs??? really...

as for a nice glass of Shiraz... I'll be right over...

October 19, 2007 10:04 AM  

Blogger leah said...

stew and that fabulous pot roast...delicious! and i love your conversion story (btw, my grandmother was like yours, usually an outstanding cook, but there were a few things...)thanks for a great play!

October 19, 2007 12:22 PM  

Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Canned salmon and fresh salmon are almost no relation. So glad you found the good stuff! We have salmon for Easter Dinner in my family... between my vegetarian-but-fish-eating husband, my ham-disliking mom, and my lamb-disliking self... we decided a few years ago that we liked salmon, plus it was pretty and eastery-colored.

October 19, 2007 3:00 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Susie, the canned salmon has almost no relationship to the fresh!

October 19, 2007 4:50 PM  

Blogger RevHRod said...

I've read three posts on brains and eggs- and so far, it's a toss up whether or not they're worth eating. Personally, I can't stand the eggs, so....

Fun play. Loved the reminders of stringy meat.

October 19, 2007 6:15 PM  

Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

I like canned salmon, but it's not like fresh (which I also adore). Canned salmon and grits is one of my favorite breakfasts.

But the brains and eggs thing? My grandfather ate that, too. EEWWWWWWWWW!

October 19, 2007 7:46 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

When my parents were in camp, one day they thought, "Scrambled eggs, yum!" Until they figured out they included brains. Ewwww.

Canned salmon is to salmon as an MRE is to real food.

October 19, 2007 11:02 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"On the other hand, my father used to put brains in his scrambled eggs... and that was actually pretty tasty."

So... you might say he put a lot of thought into his meal.

October 21, 2007 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home