/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I'll Fly Away

This morning I will get on a plane, like thousands of people do every day. In my case, the reasons are joyful-- I'm heading back east to attend the ordination of a gifted and godly friend, something to which I committed back when this did not seem as though it would necessarily part of the journey.

At the same time, I cannot but be aware of the significance of the date, and the fact that, six years ago today, four planes took off and did not land at their original destinations-- and as a result, the world changed.

No, I'm not intimidated at the prospect of flying on this day. Mostly I've been mildly irritated at the quirky preparations that precaution (one might suggest, compulsively paranoid, illogical over-precaution) has made necessary. I will not be checking luggage, so I have bought the tiny (less than 3 oz.) toiletries, sealed them into their TSA-approved plastic baggie, and muttered about not having access to my usual product set because some things just are not available in that way. I have emptied my pockets and bags of any stray pointy objects (though the steel knitting needles will happily pass through!) that may be construed as a Threat to National Security. I have planned to wear shoes that will come off and on easily, and arranged to be at our small local airport with plenty of time to spare.

Even as I grumble, however, I am made acutely aware on this date of the tenuous nature of "the best laid plans."

And as we, by God's grace, lay hands on a prayerful head and invoke the Holy Spirit to "make a priest in Your Church," I will be grateful to remember this day for another reason.

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us; unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in your good time, all nations and races may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

See you on the flip side, my friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home