/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, October 05, 2007

Friday 5: Thankfulness

The RevGals Friday Five is a challenge this week - only because the number seems more like a limit than anything. I am blessed to have more than five things to be thankful for (a good reminder to have!); so some are going into groups.

List at least five things (people, places, graces, miracles...) for which you are thankful. You may elaborate as you wish, or keep it simple.

People...
  • Family-- one patient, hardworking, considerate husband, and two children who are better people than I could ask for or deserve.
  • Friends - A few close and dear confidantes who comfort and challenge and entertain in frivolous and holy ways.
Places...
  • The incredible, austere beauty of the mountains in Big Sky Country, and the trees filling the Hoosier landscape, currently painting the world with a matchless blaze of colors. I am thankful to have been able to live among both.
Graces...
  • The gift of what I do-- this crazy juggling act that is rural cluster ministry among small churches no one's ever heard of-- is so imbued with grace as to be inexpressible. I couldn't manage without the unmerited favor of a gracious God, who makes good things happen here almost every day. Sometimes in spite of me!
Miracles...
  • This certainly is a minor sort of miracle, but it's the first one to occur to me. I am currently in an exercise group (a free weights class for women, offered at our local high school). I haven't mentioned anything on this blog because, quite frankly, I wasn't sure that that my back (surgery several years ago) and lack of upper body strength and crazy schedule wouldn't cause me to drop out after the first class. I didn't want to be blogging about the failure. But it's been three weeks, and I'm still going, and I've even begun to be able to increase the size of the weights I've been using on some exercises! This is amazing.

12 Comments:

Blogger RevRosa said...

I loved your play. I have started a small storefront Latino ministry in Ft. Lauderdale and I could really relate to the one on graces. Amen!

October 05, 2007 7:11 AM  

Blogger j said...

very nicely played--thanks for adding your voice.

October 05, 2007 7:47 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well played!

October 05, 2007 8:04 AM  

Blogger revkjarla said...

beautiful play...and I love the pictures of the Big Sky Country....I grew up in landscape near there, and it looks like home.
Thank you.

October 05, 2007 8:24 AM  

Blogger Jan said...

YAY for exercise, which I am avoiding right now, but it's great that your body is responding happily to the exercise class and not painfully!

October 05, 2007 8:41 AM  

Blogger Jan said...

OOPPS--too many RevGals and I called you the wrong name! I'm sorry!

October 05, 2007 8:42 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Jane Ellen, bravo! It's amazing how much stronger we can get if we take the pace right and don't get discouraged!!

October 05, 2007 11:00 AM  

Blogger leah said...

Your four categories are wonderful--thanks for playing!

October 05, 2007 11:46 AM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Quite interesting, good play.

October 05, 2007 1:16 PM  

Blogger Terri said...

I love Montana, I can see why you are happy there. And, just wait, the weights will do wonders for you. You don't have to use heavy ones to build stamina and strength, just consistancy.

October 05, 2007 2:05 PM  

Blogger Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

You are from Indiana...how wonderful. I spent many happy years there in doctoral work at Notre Dame.

October 05, 2007 3:02 PM  

Blogger CoG said...

Good job exercising. Yes, it does sometimes feel like a miracle! Good play.

October 05, 2007 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home