This was in part due to the company, of course. We (spouses are included in the invitation, so my husband came, too) rode up with with Rev. Ref and his Lovely Wife from their house, which made half the trip seem much shorter each way; and then I had some very pleasant conversations with several of my new
This year's speaker was theologian Bonnie Thurston, and she was marvelous. I quickly became a fan as I listened to her address biblical preaching, and preparation for same, with clarity, insight and humor. Then she clinched the deal later by expressing wholehearted and enthusiastic admiration for my favorite NT professor.
All in all, a great trip.
Today is normally my day off; but after three days away and with the bishop's visitation scheduled for my churches this weekend, I was busy both prepping and catching up:
- Chatted with a substitute musician scheduled for one of my churches in a couple of weeks, so she'll have plenty of time (she plays well, but she's new, and nervous) to practice the hymns we'll use;
- Arranged to have printed a boatload of fliers advertising a change in service times at another church;
- Programmed the digital hymnals at the two churches where the bishop will celebrate on Sunday (I hope they still work then-- I've never done it this far in advance);
- Fielded a number of Concerned Phone Calls, about one thing and another;
- Visited a shut-in parishioner, who eventually forgave me for missing our usual Wednesday chat; and
- Finished (as far as I can for now) updating the parish records, for the bishop's inspection.