/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Enough is enough.

Visitation at the funeral home on Thursday.
Funeral on Friday.
Internment Saturday.

Then, Chaplain On Call Saturday evening, and yes, I get paged. Unexpected death during surgery.

While I'm on the way to the hospital, I get paged again. Code brought in through the ER, this time. I explain that there was a prior call, and that I will be delayed.

While I'm praying with Grieving Family #1, the overhead page sounds off. The patient in the ER has expired.

Move as gracefully as I can from Grieving Family #1 (waiting for out of town relatives) to Grieving Family #2.

While in the ER, the overhead echoes again. A new one, this time-- a Code up in Oncology.

Finish with Grieving Family #2. Stop up to check on Grieving Family #1, whose relatives have arrived and who are now ready to fill out necessary paperwork and go home.

Oncology patient has been stabilized, and is moved to ICU. I meet the family there, who want nothing to do with me (the chaplain being the spectre of death, you know). At this point, I am not entirely regretful. I notify the nurses where to find the family, once the patient is settled in her room. They will be asked to consider a DNR order.

I trot off to finish the Pastoral Care paperwork. Go home. Try to sleep.

I am holding fast to the Sunday promise of resurrection, because I've had just about all the death I can stomach for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

What a long day. But I'm glad you were there for all those families.

March 19, 2006 12:30 PM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

Damn.

Some days that's all you can say.

March 19, 2006 3:49 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It gets better. It's always hardest the first year.

Hang in there, you're doing fine.

March 28, 2006 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home