/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, November 25, 2005

Night prayer

Won't you dance with me?
Throughout the heavens and below the seas
Up on the mountaintops...

I went to bed with a sinus headache last night-- the sort that comes on suddenly and without warning, leaving me wanting nothing except meds and a very dark room. So I didn't say my prayers like I usually do before sleeping. "Please, God, make it stop" was about the best I could manage.

Somewhere in the night I woke to find that the pain was blessedly gone. I tossed off a brief and heartfelt "thank you" for that and rolled over, intending to go back to sleep. Instead, I found myself in prayer for quite a while, floating through a random blend of thankfulness and concerns. Not asking for anything, but holding up what's been on my mind and heart: family joys and cares, the details of the search process for a call. . .

Won't you dance with me?
Throughout the heavens and below the seas
Up on the mountaintops...

I don't know when I went to sleep, exactly; but I woke up this morning with that snippet of a praise song running through my head, over and over. I don't know why-- I haven't heard the song in a very long time, and it's not especially a favorite. There it was nonetheless, along with a sense of being connected to my prayers in the wee hours. I had to get up and track down the rest of the lyrics, so it would leave me in peace.

This is holy time
We're gathered together to worship you
and love one another
and as we pray
and as we sing
and as we dance
and as we dream
Lord, I ask of you just this one thing...

Won't you dance with me?
Throughout the heavens and below the seas
Up on the mountaintops
Flow with the breeze
Come, carry me
Lord, won't you dance with me?

Amen.

11 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

What a lovely prayer moment.

Glad you had such relief from your headache.

November 25, 2005 3:24 PM  

Blogger LutheranChik said...

Some of my most cherished prayer time happens in the dark of night...even if I'm awake because I'm sad or mad or sick. I think maybe this is because there are no distractions, and the "channel" is clearer.

November 26, 2005 5:32 PM  

Blogger see-through faith said...

Popped over to thank you for today's entry in a light blazes - then read this.

double blessing!!!

THANK YOU and may God bless your socks off !

November 30, 2005 12:18 AM  

Blogger Lunar Mark said...

What a beautiful post. I'm glad I found it.

I came upon it by using the Blogging Episcopalians 'random' button. This is another example of the button being not so random.

I would love to post this on the Prayer Page of our church Web site.

Peace,

Mark from Emmaus, PA

December 09, 2005 3:03 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Welcome, Mark!

Thank you for your kind words; and if you feel that posting this on your parish site would be helpful in any way, you are most welcome to do so.

December 09, 2005 3:13 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you knew the author or publisher of that song. I have been trying to track it down for some time.

Thanks.

December 12, 2005 4:35 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

I'm sorry, but I do not know either the publisher or the artist. We play it at my parish under a CCLI license; you might check their website (http://www.ccli.com/) to see if they have any information there.

December 14, 2005 4:05 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. I tried searching but had to email them the text to see if they knew about it.

December 15, 2005 10:15 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey everybody..
yeah so i reeally like that dance with me song we sing it at luther dell (my church camp) all the time but i can't find a guitar tab for it cause i don't know who sings it...etc. so if anybody knows...comment back or email me pleeeease!!! my email is diamondbaby7792@yahoo.com thanks a bunch!!

-Carissa

August 13, 2006 6:47 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that song! thank you so much for posting it. may the lord be with you.

October 01, 2006 9:12 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone please tell me who the author is of this song "Dance With Me" or where I can get a recorded copy of it? Thanks. Pat

November 15, 2006 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home