/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Yesssss. . .

Recently I came to the conclusion that my book collection needed some augmenting. I am no longer at my seminary, where half the books in Creation seemed to be housed in my dear professor friend's home or office; and the other half were a) down the hall or b) across the street (We had a lovely arrangement with the Methodist seminary there; "all things were held in common," library-wise).

So, with some sage advice from the aforementioned professor, as well as some additonal suggestions from my favorite librarian-- and leveraged by some ordination-related gifts that were not directed to discretionary fund use-- I have begun to work happily toward the goal of overloading my office bookshelves.

The first of these new friends arrived today! Appropriately, it's a commentary on Matthew-- first in the Sacra Pagina series, and a fine way to begin. It's lovely and fresh, with that new book smell... and it feels so smooth and clean when I stroke its pristine little dust jacket...

Soon it will have friends to join it... won't it, my preciousssss... ?

My name is Jane Ellen, and I am an unrepentant bookaholic.

4 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

do you smuggle theology books home in brown paper bags?

Do you lie to your spouse and tell him/her that you were at a bar rather than a)shopping on the Internet or b)at the local bookstore?

Do you hope to get home before everyone else in order to pick up that tell tale package from Amazon off the front step?


The first step is acknowlecging the problem.

Not that I have a problem with books. Or yarn.

November 10, 2005 8:25 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiiiii Jaaaane!

November 10, 2005 10:01 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. I so love that Harrington book. Mmmm...

I am using it this week.

Ahhh...

November 11, 2005 8:20 AM  

Blogger Benedict Seraphim said...

Hi, Jane Ellen!

My name is Clifton, and I am an unrepentant bookaholic, too.

I knew I had a problem when I quit reading cereal boxes and started reading Dostoyevsky at breakfast. From there I started recreational reading of theology, but that led quickly to speed-reading Plato. Next thing I knew I was underlining Kierkegaard. There was a time I was reading three, four, even five books in a week. I was known to even read Eugene Peterson while my preacher was preachin'. My addiction new no shame. I would not only take my books out of their sacks immediately (unless it was inclement weather) so I could fondle them and smell them while waiting at stoplights, but I would even walk around with them tucked under my arm like a lover . . . er, I mean, a football.

My name is Clifton, and I'm an unrepentant bookaholic.

November 11, 2005 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home