/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Saturday, October 15, 2005

There's religion. . . and then there's religion

Today was spent in ecclesial adventures, connected by a triangle of hour-long road trips as I bounced between the congregations I serve. I left home this morning to go up to the north side of Chicago, to an ecumenical meeting hosted by Reconciler. Then this afternoon I traveled over to a contemporary music seminar hosted by St. A's. These were both good events-- solid, prayerful conversation and worship, much food for thought, and insights to Christian focus and ministry. And I even got a bonus: a precious few minutes at the the beginning of my first meeting spent hugging Si, home for an all-too-brief weekend visit from college.

Others, however, had different devotionals on their plates.

Although I didn't get to see any of the games, I will be happy to agree with the Ref. that (aside from the *sigh* less-than-stellar efforts in Lafayette) this game contributed to an overall decent football day.

Why? Well, first because I am not a Notre Dame fan. Living in northern Indiana, within hailing distance of South Bend, I hear just about all I can stomach of the Fighting Irish pride on the gridiron. Quite bluntly, there's an element around here that crosses the border into arrogance, leaving me petty enough to root for just about anyone the Domers are facing on any given day.

Secondly, I will note that this is the one week each year when the Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana has an Official Football Team, explicitly declared thus by our bishop. +Ed may have been sporting his standard purple shirt this week, but a maroon and gold USC cap was also part of his daily wardrobe, even at the 3-day clergy retreat. Today he was in the stands, sitting among the ND season ticket holders (one of the perks of his office is a set of tickets, provided annually as a gift by the university) in full Trojan regalia.

So I am certain that the outcome of the game made the Right Reverend Father-in-God a happy man. As for me. . . sitting here less than a week away from a second set of vows to abide by his authority and direction, I'm thinking that a happy bishop is "a good and joyful thing."

***************
Meanwhile, Quotidian Grace points out that during the playoffs, churchgoing baseball fans can also get a little carried away. . . at least in Houston.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home