/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Ordination planning

With my ordination now only about three weeks away, I am caught up in the details. And I have to say, it's amazing how much it feels like getting organized for a wedding. I've only done that once, of course, and that was a long time ago; but I've had recently the pleasure of watching Hope and Andrew planning for their wedding day, and the similarities abound. Invitations, liturgy, reception... I can remember swearing loudly back then that I would never, EVER be doing this sort of thing again, and here I am. Once again I plan, and God laughs.

This time is much easier, though. Much.
  • Invitations: No RSVP cards, no separate reception card, and no one telling me that delivering by hand isn't done. White card, black print, and a lovely, fun typeface (its name is Harrington, and AKMA can no doubt tell you more about it than I ever could. I just liked it). Address, stamp and mail to those at a distance, and simply hand out the rest with a smile.
  • Outfits: No shopping for bridesmaids' dresses that need to suit the whole spectrum of body types and styles, have to be ordered six months in advance, and then require alterations because the maid of honor is 7 1/2 months' pregnant on W-Day with what turned out to be a 9 lb. nephew. This time a lot more people are dressing up, but here's the sum of my input: BYOA - Bring Your Own Alb - and a red stole. Of course, we have some diehard traditionalist clergy who insist on cassock and surplice as the only appropriate attire for those not in the liturgical party. Fine-- be that way. See if I care. Y'all are big boys and girls-- you figure it out.
  • Liturgy: No prima donna musicians, no twitchy overcontrolling liturgists, no marathon rehearsal session. I put together an order of service for the liturgy with helpful and cooperative input from the organist at one church and the praise team leader at the other. Both have been wonderful. The bishop approved it all with no changes (yes, Ref-- even that suspicious, CCLI-licensed, canonically unauthorized music. Brace yourself). The rehearsal will be an hour before the service.
  • Reception: No sit down dinner, no fussing over band and cake and seating. This time I pretty much told the nice folks who do the church catering that I was looking for a simple luncheon buffet, with a decent vegetarian option. What they suggested was fine, and I got out of the way.
Now if I can just get the house clean...

13 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Sound like it will be great. I wish I could be there for real, but you can be sure that I'll be there in spirit.

Pax,

September 29, 2005 12:20 PM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

I'm just glad you gave me time to prepare for that unauthorized muzak. You wouldn't want me keeling over in the middle of the service, now would you?

September 29, 2005 12:45 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget the rehearsal, which is a much smaller affair than it would be for a wedding, too. Not counting the mysterious boxes showing up in the mail, of course.

September 29, 2005 2:27 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todd, she's shown me some of the music, and you may keel anyway. So just head on over to that theater of yours and get some lessons in falling. After all, we wouldn't want you denting a pew on your way down.

September 29, 2005 2:28 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh this sounds so wonderful. Wish we could all be there - in person - but Rev Gals prayers are there in spirit.

Go girl, go :)

September 30, 2005 3:59 AM  

Blogger Jules said...

I'm so tempted...I actually have an alb and a rockin' hand-made red stole with wicked flames going up one side.

But it's WG's birthday, so I'll be at home with a house full of teenagers. Sigh.

Enjoy your day! Many Blessings!

September 30, 2005 6:36 AM  

Blogger mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

I'm curious about this music...

Another difference: not searching desperately for special (ahem!) underwear that is essential to the dress you're wearing.

Your RevGalBlogPals will be with you in spirit.

October 04, 2005 3:06 PM  

Blogger Justin said...

Bridesmaid dresses that "require alterations because the maid of honor is 7 1/2 months' pregnant on W-Day." This happened at a wedding I attended a couple of years ago, except the bridesmaid was 2-3 months pregnant and had not told anyone. She was just big enough that the dress did not fit, and the ceremony was delayed 3-hours while the bride's mom tried unsuccessfully to alter the dress on the spot. Luckily the reception was across the yard and they opened the bar while we all waited. By the time the wedding started the groomemen all had a beer cup in their hand and the pregger bridesmaid walked down the aisle in the jeans and t-shirt she wore to the wedding.

October 05, 2005 11:52 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cassocks rock! They behave sort of like armor, in that the wearer looks (and presumably feels) awfully well prepared/armed for whatever pastoral emergencies may come down the pike. Cassock-wearers just look READY. They have taken a big breath (and drunk some coffee, probably) and now are Not Afraid of parish-ness.

Also, cassocks are *sexy.* Oh, it's good to be a clergy spouse!!

Though I am *not* sure how well cassocks mix with praise music. I DO know they pass for Gothic attire in case of oh-our-church-was-double-booked-for-services-and-Goth-night (remember that???).

NOW I may have to attend just to see this animal you are creating!

October 05, 2005 2:22 PM  

Blogger Reverend Ref + said...

"Cassocks are *sexy*"

Really?? Who knew?

Maybe I'll have to go pick one up.

October 06, 2005 12:22 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

mibi: The music will actually be a blend of traditional hymnody (taken from our church's hymnals-- hence the reference to "authorized music") and contemporary praise songs-- with a bit of Taize thrown in for good measure. Eclectic? Certainly. But then, so is (or should be) the church!

And you are quite right about the underwear issue. I had forgotten that aspect; but this day will be SO much more comfortable by comparison!

October 06, 2005 12:57 PM  

Blogger Kathryn said...

I just want to challenge mibi there...I trained on a course with candidates from a variety of different dioceses, which meant that come ordination day we were scattered to the four winds, and wanted to do something to connect with each other. We also wanted to do something to ensure that we weren't too full of our own unreal holiness...and came up with the idea of OKs (=ordination knickers)
Because we were to wear red stoles, the knickers also had to be red...and that was not a summer when they were easy to find. So, an abiding memory of the last residential before our retreats was of my dear friend S stirring a pot of scarlet dylon, into which half a dozen of us dropped our brand new liturgically correct undies..
and yes, we wore them on the day...and they did make us remember each other, and giggle, and rejoice that God was calling and using us with all our idiocies intact!

October 08, 2005 9:34 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What it could be useful for?

December 19, 2005 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home