/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, September 09, 2005

Make it go awaaaayyy...

AKMA suggested in the comments on my last post that it might be useful to be able to give a song one did not care for negative play time; sort of a mental rewind, so that the end result was a brain wipe of that memory space, just as if one had never heard the song in the first place.

It got me to thinking. . . wouldn't it be cool if you could indeed rewind some songs? How would it be to arrange never to have heard some of the overplayed, syrupy claptrap to which we've all been subjected from time to time? What would it be worth to eliminate that pesky, awful lyric in your head that plays over, and over, and over, like some demented psycho feedback loop that will not stop?

In The Best of All Possible Worlds, I would arrange it so that the latter problem could be handled with a temporary fix. After all, even music I like gets stuck in that annoying way, once in a while; and I wouldn't want never to have heard a good song, just because it had gotten wedged in place in my brain.

However, some music-- and this applies to commercial jingles, as well as actual songs of whatever genre-- I would be just as happy to erase from the memory chip entirely. Yes, Ref-- Horse with No Name could fall here, as could Elton John's Your Song-- some of the lamest lyrics in the history of songwriting.

Then there are a select few that, if I were Queen of the Universe, might cheerfully be wiped from the general population entirely. Shari Lewis singing The Song that Doesn't End fell into this category. There was a time I'd have forked over some serious coin to delete that from my daughter's brain cells. Oh, and the theme song from "Barney". . . ugh. 'I love you, you love me', sung in that dreadfully unctuous, saccharine voice, still makes me twitch.

So, how about you? If it were possible, what song(s) would you give negative play time? What's on your "Better Dead" playlist?

9 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

So tell me, why would we want to TRY to remember those horrible songs? But one that comes to mind is "Play Me" by Neil Diamond, and that perfectly putrid lyric:

"Songs you sang to me, sounds you brang to me."

September 09, 2005 9:10 PM  

Blogger Beth said...

My last day of traumas in the hospital (a full one), I was standing watching a mother sing to her six-year old daughter, who was on a backboard. It was very touching.

Except - the song she sang first was "I love you, you love me." All my internal programming told me to run far, far away from that room. I had to work very consciously to remind myself that hearing her sing Barney songs to her daughter was better than catching her as she fell down screaming in the middle of the ER. Only slightly, perhaps, but better.

September 09, 2005 9:13 PM  

Blogger jo(e) said...

I admit to having a tender spot for Elton John's My Song.

My problem is that even sappy songs often stir up nice memories so I can't erase them.

I had a college roommate who played Barry Manilow constantly ... but now those songs remind me of that year in college.

September 09, 2005 11:40 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason the first song that popped into my head was a hymn: "Here I Am Lord, Is It I Lord..." Oy.

September 10, 2005 1:48 AM  

Blogger AKMA said...

Out of deference to my hostess, I won’t mention one particular musician’s songs — she knows which I mean.

Unfortunately, even excluding those, I can think of so very many songs I wish I had never heard. Yes, “Horse With No Name,” and the Neil Diamond Songbook, and almost all kid music (we carefully outmaneuvered most of that, but there’s still potential for a dreadful outcome if I were to meet some of those Disney tripewriters. “Your Song” has its lameness, but at least in its original version there’s a humility about it that disarms my strongest negative reactions. On the other hand, the early-80’s combine of Journey, Kansas, Rush, and a couple of their clones hit my rewind button hard.

September 10, 2005 10:14 AM  

Blogger geebrooke said...

Well, I was going to say REO Speedwagon, "Ridin' the Storm Out." But AKMA's fleeting reference to Journey has stuck me with, "Don't Stop Believin'." Aargh.

September 11, 2005 7:17 AM  

Blogger Jody Harrington said...

My vote is MacArthur's Park. And its WAY too long.

September 11, 2005 1:32 PM  

Blogger Ecgbert said...

'Well, everybody's heard about the bird!
B-b-b-bird! Bird! Bird! B-bird's the word!'

That's 'Surfin' Bird', a bit of garage-band silliness by Minneapolis band the Trashmen from the end of 1963... not a great lyric or even melody but I admit it rocks and am not alone in that. Both the Ramones and Silverchair covered it. Rather proto-punk.

If you remember it I dare you to get it out of your head now!

September 11, 2005 8:45 PM  

Blogger Scott said...

Started out this mornin' feelin' so polite
I always thought a fish could not be caught who didn't bite...

"Afternoon Delight"
Starland Vocal Band c. 1976

Horrible and awful, and yes, I loved it when it was first released. It was the brain-dead Seventies; what can I say? :)

September 12, 2005 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home