/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, August 19, 2005

Self-care

Yesterday, I tried something new. I began in earnest an effort to eliminate (or at least minimize) some of the sedentary flab I've accumulated over the last three years. Sitting in a chair studying, rather than chasing children on a playground or tromping around a continuous caster-- common activities from my past-- has not been conducive to keeping in shape.

I've been in the habit (well, more or less) of walking in the mornings-- something necessitated by back surgery, several years ago. So step one is committing to doing that more consistently.

Secondly, I stopped in this little fitness place I've been driving past for years, and discovered that they offer three free sessions with a personal trainer, as part of the way to convince folks to become regular customers. "Free" works for me, so my first session was yesterday. And it went well, I thought-- not too taxing at all...

Then I woke up this morning. Stiff. Very stiff. "What-were-you-thinking-you-are-nowhere-near-seventeen-anymore-you-crazy-woman" stiff.

Now, as much as the thought distressed me, I know the only answer to that sort of soreness is to move; so I did-- got up and diligently did my walk around the neighborhood. And it helped. The hobble I began with, turned into almost normal movement by the time I got back.

Yes, I'm going back. Obviously I need this.

*******************************

Saturday morning addenedum: Can I just share with you that I also did some desperately needed weeding and hedge trimming yesterday? And that has not contributed to my comfort level in the slightest. My body is not my friend. It is mean, and cranky, and unreasonable, and we are not getting along. Whine.

Nonetheless, we are out of bed because the boys left for a camping trip at o-dark-hundred this morning. And we will go walk, darn it.

But we won't like it. Grumble. Pout.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Does painting the ceiling count? I know I'm going to be stiff in the morning.

August 19, 2005 10:53 PM  

Blogger geebrooke said...

Actual conversation with Emergency Room physician:

Phys: How did you come to have this terrible spasm in your neck?
Me in Pain: I yawned and stretched.
Phys: (lengthy, unsympathetic laughter) Yawned and stretched? Don't you know that we old people can't just yawn and stretch when we feel like it? You've got to warm up to that sort of thing!

At least she said, "we."

August 20, 2005 6:50 AM  

Blogger Jules said...

Jane Ellen, see some of my exercise-related posts for important caveats!

August 20, 2005 9:53 AM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Wes: yes, it does. Though you need to keep doing it, in order to have it be effective-- and that could get old in a hurry...

RevMom: I did read your most recent post-- and believe me, I dressed for the gym with your adventure in mind!

August 20, 2005 10:47 AM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

Painting the ceiling has already gotten old.

You watch out for that back, y'hear?

August 20, 2005 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home