/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, August 12, 2005

Morning in South Dakota

From Sheridan, WY we made our way to just east of Mitchell, SD. My cousin lives on a farm there, and we'd not seen the place since he and his wife bought it two years ago. Matt is a boilermaker, and comes back to Indiana to work often, so we see him fairly regularly; but this was the first time we'd been out in his direction.

We had dinner when we got there, dining on grilled this and that, and beans, and salad, and corn picked 5 minutes before we tossed it in the pot. Then root beer floats before bed... yes, they eat well in the heartland.


The next morning we played a bit before we left. "Playing" with Matt usually means taking aim at something-- in this case, clay pigeons over the cornfield. It's been a long time since I've messed with a shotgun, and you could tell-- I didn't hit much. But it was fun. I'd like to find a place closer to home, where I could practice once in a while.

Relax, friends-- I'm only shooting at inanimate objects. At least, so far. . .

6 Comments:

Blogger Dawgdays said...

You couldn't hit anything because you're holding the shotgun on the wrong side. :)

August 12, 2005 1:12 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so did you hit the side of the barn or what?

August 12, 2005 6:22 PM  

Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Wes: No, I am left-handed, so that's the way the gun goes. It's the rest of y'all who aren't in your right minds. ;-)

Laurel: The barns and the house emerged unscathed. I took aim at maybe half a dozen skeet, and managed to nick only one of them. As I said, it's been years since I tried this, so I was WAY out of practice.

August 12, 2005 7:24 PM  

Blogger geebrooke said...

It has been argued that lefties would have been a highly-prized military asset in Old Testament times. Ehud, the Benjaminites, and now Jane.

August 12, 2005 8:52 PM  

Blogger Dawgdays said...

So, I'm not in my right mind? Hmmmph!

No big surprise, huh? :D

[Thinking back on it, I was surprised at how many southpaws there were at Seabury.]

August 12, 2005 9:16 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Half dozen? Impressive. Do skeet make for good eatin'? ;)

August 14, 2005 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home