/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Monday, July 18, 2005

Ground rules

My goodness! I woke this morning to find quite a number of comments on a couple of recent postings. And that's all well and good; I'm normally delighted when people come by to play. However, given the tone of some of the discussion, I find I need to reiterate the following:
  1. Profanity will not be tolerated. Though I will occasionally fall into vulgar language in my speech (under duress, I assure you!), I have no intention of using it here, nor do I care to read it.
  2. Name-calling and personal attacks are unacceptable. If you don't like something someone says here, then you may certainly express your disagreement with that statement or opinion; but you must keep the argument focused on the topic at hand, and not devolve into sniping.
  3. Civil and respectful discourse is required. Again, if you wish to disagree with something said here, that is your prerogative, and part of my expectation in having a blog open for public comment. However, I expect that all posts, comments and commenters will be treated with courtesy. Among other things, this means that sarcasm will be kept to a minimum and any venting will be suitably and responsibly controlled. We are all of us children of God, created in God's image and due the respect and dignity that implies.
  4. A link is better than "Copy and Paste." The former may provide useful information; the latter, however germane to the issue it may be, ends up feeling like spam. If you wish to share an online article or other information, I ask that you post the link, rather than the whole dissertation. Similarly, excessive length in a comment is unnecessary; if you have that much to say, post it on your own blog and provide the URL.
  5. The buck stops here. This is my playground; I get to decide what is acceptable. If for any reason I find that your posting crosses the bounds of appropriate discourse, I will remove it. And if you persist in posting comments that I feel the need to remove, I will block your access to this blog.
Now-- let's all play nicely, shall we?

6 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Coleman said...

May the peace of Christ be with you today.

July 18, 2005 8:06 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acknowledged. However as you say, I should blog about it myself. (However, I think your bishop would like it a good deal less if I did so). But first need to pray.

July 18, 2005 8:12 AM  

Blogger Ecgbert said...

As an unlikely occasional visitor to this blog I didn't interpret the entry about the blogger's friend, on a page including the news of the horrible treatment of Fr Hansen and his church, as an endorsement of what Bp Smith did.

I realise what kind of blog this is - technically open to the public but really a newsletter for family and friends, not really a place to spout off on controversial topics (unlike my blog, LOL!), always remembering that I'm only a guest here.

Visiting this blog helps me keep the right perspective: 'keep it real' if you will. On the Internet it's too easy to dehumanise one's theological opponents!

Having said all that, both news items - the treatment of the Connecticut Six and Ms Waggoner's institution in what used to be an Anglo-Catholic diocese - remind me that this is no longer the Anglicanism that introduced me to the Catholic faith nearly 30 years ago. :(

Peace.

July 18, 2005 8:24 AM  

Blogger jo(e) said...

Nice job articulating rules for civil discourse!

July 18, 2005 8:51 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel free to trace my ISP address. St. Mary's hospital knows that I am as proudly Catholic as she is, and that I can double my salary by going to the competition 30 minutes away. (Which I wont do without provocation, as by doing so, I would the poor and Medicaid with no neurologist for 300 miles).

Nice suggestion, however. Subtle.

July 18, 2005 8:52 AM  

Blogger Emily said...

So. . .how about those blueberries?

July 18, 2005 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home