/* ----- ---- *?

Hoosier Musings on the Road to Emmaus

Friday, July 08, 2005

Family feast days

One of the things my parents had in common was their birthday. They were born on the same day, in the same year; my father was only about an hour older than my mother. A friend of theirs who was into astrology never got over how totally freaky she thought that was.

Mom always said it felt like Christmas to her, because she got to give presents on that day, as well as receive them. Because we were (and are) a family that fusses over birthdays-- special meals, and cake and ice cream, and Get Out the Good Dishes-- it felt a bit like that to us, too.

That changed somewhat after Mama died, as all things did; but there is still much to celebrate, and memories and joy to share (nowhere do I laugh more than when I'm with my siblings!), and tomorrow we're going to do just that. Today, however, is the actual Feast Day.

Happy Birthday, Daddy!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great picture! Happy birthday, Hoosier's dad!

July 10, 2005 6:38 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Thank you for this.

December 25, 2005 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home